Old primers

I came into an uncracked old brick of Federal 210's, so I loaded up some up and will compare them with my fresh new Fed primers next weekend. I'll be using my Labradar..

New Fed 215 GMM vs Fed 210 OAFD's. Can't wait to see the results.

7FFOMfQ.jpg

There was a really good post here or on another site tha i read on primers. Primers are made of a material that will NOT absorbs moisture. I can't remember to post tor the quote correctly, or the years they started mking primers with this material, but if I remember correctly they did a test where the primer was submerged in water, placed in a cartridge, loaded with poeder and bullet and it fired the same as a primer not exposed to water. I don't condone any one else doing this test. The previous results were conducted in a testing enviroment. I'll try to find the information.
Len & Jill

There was a really good post here or on another site tha i read on primers. Primers are made of a material that will NOT absorbs moisture. I can't remember to post tor the quote correctly, or the years they started mking primers with this material, but if I remember correctly they did a test where the primer was submerged in water, placed in a cartridge, loaded with poeder and bullet and it fired the same as a primer not exposed to water. I don't condone any one else doing this test. The previous results were conducted in a testing enviroment. I'll try to find the information.
Len & Jill
You are completely right. Whenever the topic of depriming live primed cases comes up, you always read the recommendation to soak primed cases in water or oil etc to deactivate the primer, rather than risk setting off that greande with a de-prime rod. Over 30 years ago we tried that with a dozen different oils, water, alcohol, Hoppes 9, peroxide etc. Virtually every primer went bang, even after sitting for 3 days.

I came into an uncracked old brick of Federal 210's, so I loaded up some up and will compare them with my fresh new Fed primers next weekend. I'll be using my Labradar..

7FFOMfQ.jpg
I still have one brick of 215's with that packaging. They were $7.35 a brick when I bought them. Still use them in my .300 Winchester Mag.

7FFOMfQ.jpg

So for the sake of giggles, Here's what I found-

.308 Peterson Brass, 44gr IMR 4064, OAFD primers Sierra MK 168gr (shot 2 separate series).
Series 1- 10 shots (all recorded). SD9 / ES23

Series 2- 19 out of 20 recorded shots but ONE super outlier which was 250fps slower than average. I removed that from the stat- could be chrony, could be reloader error. So 18 in the test. SD7 / ES22

Pretty consistent for old as dirt primers. All went bang.