Old powder ok??

Stored correctly you shouldn't have any concern. I'm just finished a can of Blue Dot I purchased in 1984 and used in loading 10mm. No problem at all.

I'm still using what's left of a 50# cardboard barrel marked 4831 (not H4831) from Hodgden that was shipped via Railway Express Agency.

Buying 50# of that powder years ago was a stroke of pure genius. A lot of guys actually prefer the old surplus 4831 to the new stuff, and having a large supply of it is a beautiful thing. There are many things I wish that I had stocked up on years ago, and that is one of them. I now have three 8-pounders of H4350 that I acquired during the last powder shortage, when nobody around here wanted the big jars. They all wanted one-pounders, and the 8-pounders were going begging. I grabbed three, and I'm glad I did. Pretty soon after that guys started getting together to split the big ones between them, and they became un-available. I wish that I had grabbed more of the H4831, since I now only have a couple of pounds of that. Oh, well - I'll keep my eyes open for more.

Bought 3lbs of an older H1000 label. I'm guessing they're ok since they aren't opened but want to see what the consensus is.

ThanksView attachment 306311
Probably dangerous stuff. Just send it me, and I will dispose of it slowly over the next couple years. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Like others have said here already, shake it, smell it and look for clumping or deterioration. I too have some old powder that is over 30 years old, and it works fine.

Like Critter Picker says if it smells like ether it's OK, if it smells like rotter eggs it's bad. I'm still using up a 10# steel drum of Hercules Bulls Eye from the 60's, and it is great.

Bought 3lbs of an older H1000 label. I'm guessing they're ok since they aren't opened but want to see what the consensus is.

ThanksView attachment 306311
I have a lot of cans of powder that were purchased for a specific load, then set on the shelf for, OK lets say for longer than a lot of you have been around. I recently opened a can of IMR 3031, notice I said can not bottle. The price on the sticker on the can said $12.99 and was from a gun shop that closed down some 30 years ago. It has been sitting on my reloading bench almost forever but kept in a cool dry place. Opened it up, no rust came out of the can, put it into the RCBS powder measure and trickler and proceeded to load up a bunch of .308 target rounds for just shooting for fun. All rounds fired flawlessly and grouped less than 1 MOA at 100 yards. Even better I won a grudge match with a guy that kept pestering me and saying that no old lady could shoot better than he could. He lost...badly. Not that I'm all that good, but he was just simply that bad with a big ego. (Having a Winchester Model 70 that grouped way less than 1 MOA throughout it's life didn't hurt either) So my response is, It doesn't matter how old it is, if it's still dry and goes through the powder measure accurately then go with it.