Old powder ok??

Backcountry_IDN

Bought 3lbs of an older H1000 label. I'm guessing they're ok since they aren't opened but want to see what the consensus is.

Thanks
A2A6FB36-5719-46E5-91C7-5051FF37830F.jpeg

It should be OK if stored correctly. Open 1 and smell it, it should have a kind of ether smell. If it's brown and dusty it's been stored incorrectly. I have powder that's still marked $5.95 and it's fine.

If you want to be safe just mail it to me and I'll use it up for you. (That's what a nice guy I am.)

as already said, it shouldnt smell bad, look reddish, or clump together. Also, if its before the extreme line of hidgdon powders, it may not work with current data. The current extreme powders are made by ADI in Australia. Id email hodgdon and ask before trying it.

I few years ago I Found 3 tins of IMR 4064, 4831, and some fff black powder that I bought in Abilene Texas in the late 1980 early 1990s. They kinda got lost when I retired from active duty and moved away. They spent the last 18 years in a hotter than hell Laredo Texas attic. They looked and smelled fine and I would have loaded and used them if i knew what it would be like today. I only tossed them because I had already bought new. However, I also found a couple thousand CCI 200 I did not throw those out. I loaded and used every single one without a single miss or hang fire

Given the shortages over the past years where I have bought in larger quantities, I will generally test powders that I have opened/owned for more then two or three years, checking velocity, accuracy and SD. It not been uncommon for me to see changes over time. Enough to require changes in ballistic inputs for serious competition and long range hunting. For more general/lower demand use, I will check odor and coloration with powders I have had on hand for many years.

If it turns out bad, it is still great fertilizer. Less fun than lighting it but…
After pulling 450+ bullets with unknown powder "boxes said 4895" and I knew the ammo was stored in a very hot garage here in AZ for years, I decided to scatter the powder on a spot in my lawn. Everything in the area died! Perhaps the statements about powder being a good fertilizer is just "fertilizer "! Glad it didn't get spread on the flower beds, the dog likes to sleep alone.