Old Left Handed Production Info- Savage 110CL & 110DL

Dutch Jennings

I'm a left handed shooter and have chosen Savage as my preferred brand in bolt guns because they seem to be the most interested in producing left handed offerings; plus the other quality features they offer in all their rifles. I'm interested in picking up a nice wood stocked 110CL or 110DL but would like one in .308. I have two other LH Savage in .308 but this one is a collector I can pass down in the family. I think they did produce some in .308 at different times but were spotty in timing/duration. I've notice a number of the 110CL and 110DL in 30-06 and will settle for one of those, but only if I need to. If anybody can provide any info on Savage .308 production back in those years it would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I started using the LH Savages back in the mid 60s. Had both the removable mag and the blind mag versions. The only ones we could ever get were all long actions, 300 Win Mag, 30-06, 270 and the occasional 7 Rem mag. I never saw or heard of one in 308 length actions. There were guys that re-barreled 30-06 to 308 or 243 but those are the only ones I ever saw. States might of had more choice but in Canada, we didn't have them. Best of luck.

I started using the LH Savages back in the mid 60s. Had both the removable mag and the blind mag versions. The only ones we could ever get were all long actions, 300 Win Mag, 30-06, 270 and the occasional 7 Rem mag. I never saw or heard of one in 308 length actions. There were guys that re-barreled 30-06 to 308 or 243 but those are the only ones I ever saw. States might of had more choice but in Canada, we didn't have them. Best of luck.
Thanks for the perspective as a long-time LH owner. That pretty much confirms what has been showing up online, including the occasional 7mm RM. As I said, i thought I'd seen somewhere they produced in short actions in some limited short runs, but I have no idea where or how they were marketed. I'm thinking to the extent they exist, owners are holding on to them as collectables.

I have also been shooting LH Savages since the 1960s as well. Most all Savages of that era are long actions with a block in them for short actions cartridges. How ever they did make a odd sized short action one time, I had one that I built a 7-08 on. It was such a odd duck that we had to make a stock work. I remember it was about 1/2 inch longer between the actions screws than a short action. I am not sure what the model designation was.​

One thing to watch out for, the models with the mid stock mag release were a real pain in the butt. The mags would sometimes pop out under recoil and they had a lot of feeding issues. After having 4 of them, none of which the smith could get to work perfectly, better but still not reliable, I quit buying the C version. The blind mags weren't as convenient but they were 100% reliable. I still have one of the blind mag versions in 300 Win Mag that I use as a loaner for my left handed guests.

One thing to watch out for, the models with the mid stock mag release were a real pain in the butt. The mags would sometimes pop out under recoil and they had a lot of feeding issues. After having 4 of them, none of which the smith could get to work perfectly, better but still not reliable, I quit buying the C version. The blind mags weren't as convenient but they were 100% reliable. I still have one of the blind mag versions in 300 Win Mag that I use as a loaner for my left handed guests.
Thanks, that is definitely good information to know. I had also wondered about the old detachable mags but due to finding one these days if I needed one (out of production). I think it would be the DL version I would want to be looking for with the blind mag. Since I want it for hunting purposes and not target/tactical shooting I think the blind mag is workable and the way to go.

Thanks, that is definitely good information to know. I had also wondered about the old detachable mags but due to finding one these days if I needed one (out of production). I think it would be the DL version I would want to be looking for with the blind mag. Since I want it for hunting purposes and not target/tactical shooting I think the blind mag is workable and the way to go.

I still have a spare mag for the old detachable in case you do end up with one. Fits the 7 and 300 mags.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.