Okay just one more question

Bcwn

So living here in the great state of NC ( I think satan stays for the summer!). I've got no choice at this point than to get my set up all dialed in these last 4 weeks, with that being said its blistering hot during the days, sometime reaching 107 degrees on somedays. While doing all my shooting I started to notice my brass was sticking in the chamber, everyday has been in the high 90s by thy time we get all set up to shoot. Is it safe to assume that the extreme heat is making my brass super hot and expanding it more than normal after the shot, considering they feed just fine I'm guessing that may be the case
Brad

Temperature can definitely affect a powders performance. Generally higher temps cause the pressure to be higher when you fire a round.

Are you shooting factory ammo or your hand crafted loads?

My Rocky Mountain hunting partner is moving to NC this fall. Something to do with a woman. :confused:

Last edited:
B, living here in Az, we have high heat to contend with for many months. Our hunts are in the cooler months but like you we are sighting in in the heat. We keep our ammo in a cooler to simulate hunt temps. We shoot a group when we arrive for the hunt to allow for altitude.

Shoot early in the morning or right before sunset. I shoot in Georgia, so I try my best to avoid the heat and mirage. Early morning like 7-9 is usually the best.

I would try to keep the ammo out of direct sun or in a back pack that's been in air conditioning for a while. I notice when I take my ammo out that my backpack, that's been at my house or in my truck AC, still stays relatively cooler (~30 mins or so) than the ambient air.

The cooler idea is great and those gel packs that you freeze and use for icing down after working out would probably work better since you don't have to worry about ice melting.

Also, with that avatar I hope you're not at bragg. If you are may god have mercy on your soul. Lol

June, July and August I almost ban myself from the range Lol, just too darn hot, its been 95 at 8 am almost every day.

During these months I leave the 7mm Rem Mag at home, the barrel just doesn't cool down, so I'll shoot smallbore, the AR and pistol and have fun with that

Shoot early in the morning or right before sunset. I shoot in Georgia, so I try my best to avoid the heat and mirage. Early morning like 7-9 is usually the best.

I would try to keep the ammo out of direct sun or in a back pack that's been in air conditioning for a while. I notice when I take my ammo out that my backpack, that's been at my house or in my truck AC, still stays relatively cooler (~30 mins or so) than the ambient air.

The cooler idea is great and those gel packs that you freeze and use for icing down after working out would probably work better since you don't have to worry about ice melting.

Also, with that avatar I hope you're not at bragg. If you are may god have mercy on your soul. Lol
Yup I've been here at Bragg all my adult life, I just this year decided to go look at property in Wyoming.

Yup I've been here at Bragg all my adult life, I just this year decided to go look at property in Wyoming.

I couldn't handle the stupid that was 82nd. Three years and two deployments with 1BCT, and I was done.

Try the ice packs on the ammo. I would buy those plastic ammo carries and place the packs on them. Not directly on the ammo. You can buy temp guns off amazon and laze it to see what your powder temps are. Those temp guns are awesome and only cost $20.

June, July and August I almost ban myself from the range Lol, just too darn hot, its been 95 at 8 am almost every day.

During these months I leave the 7mm Rem Mag at home, the barrel just doesn't cool down, so I'll shoot smallbore, the AR and pistol and have fun with that
Where are you at, it sounds like you're from my neck of the woods

You guys have it cool there
We get our summer warm starting around 35c and going up around the middle of our state of Western Australia mid 40c and up to 50c that's 122 f in mid summer , but believe me no shooting in that heat one sorta wanders off to the nearest pub lol :)o_O
I still shoot in low to mid 40c not too bad under a tree in the shade

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.