OK What Type of Hearing Protection do you Use

plshilo

I know it was a big title and should be a simple answer, but it is not for me. We (wife & I) both use electronic ear muff's. We also got purchased Surefire EP5's to try.
So my question is what is everyone using to shoot high powered guns or are you using both types??
We find it hard to shoot rifels with the ear muff's, so that is why we are going to try the Surefire....
Anyway, any Help would be Great.......

Phil

I discovered the Soundgear electronic ear plugs and Use them all the time now. As recently as this morning.

I now sell them in The LRH Store.

Last edited:
Phil, yes, they are "spendy" but I wish I had "spent" on them before I got tinnitus a few years ago on a coyote hunt. Now when I notice the permanent ringing in my ears they don't seem "spendy" at all.
============================

From Len:
I ordered a set of "SoundGear by La Pierre", made by Starkey Hearing Technology, a very established hearing aid company. This unit is very tiny, fits in the ear canal in the same way a good set of non-electronic plugs would fit. The sales guy at SoundGear suggested the "industrial" labeled version rather than the "hunting " labeled one. He subtly suggested that the amount of sound increase with the hunting version of the SoundGear product may not be what most of us would prefer (too loud). I never tried the "hunting" version but like this "industrial" sound value quite well.

Most often in recent years I wear non-electronic plugs when hunting but only at the critical moment. And if I'm hunting with a partner, the plugs reduce the ability to communicate.

I tried the SoundGear units for fit and comfort and was pleased. In fact I wore them for a couple hours and by that time had forgotten I had them on.

Then this morning I went out to my friend's place to try a shooting test with the SoundGear. He was quite interested since he had tried one of the type that consists of a tube that connects a plug to an electronics "module". The module mounts behind the ear, the tube holds the plug inside the ear canal. It wasn't the Walker's Game Ear version, it was Radians. He didn't like that style of unit since he couldn't keep it on in certain situations.

The example he gave was when lying down in one of those coffin style goose blinds. While waiting for birds, prone on his back, he needs to be able to hear very well. And he needs the unit to not fall out because the module was bumped loose.

I had tried the similar Walker's behind-the-ear version a few years ago and did not like it at all. It didn't cut off enough sound for one thing. In fact, seeing that there is a plastic tube connecting the electronics to the plug which goes into the ear I don't know how any of that style can keep sound from traveling along the tube into the ear canal. Anyway, we'd both be willing to sell those respective units for about $2 each if you're interested.

Too often "cheap" is not really a good value. Buying once and buying well is what I try to do though too many times I fail the first try.

Anyway, the SoundGear shooting test today was a big success and my quest has ended! I can't wait to hunt coyotes with them in a couple weeks. Imagine you park the truck at your first set of the day and get your rifle and other stuff ready. I insert my 2 SoundGear electronic units and off we go.

I can hear the sounds a little louder with these units. Enough louder to be helpful but not enough to be obnoxious.

So that set is over, you head back to the truck, put your stuff in the truck --- leave your "ears" in place and drive to the next set. Simple, comfortable, effective.

You could hunt coyotes all day without fussing over them. You can whisper to your hunt partner, you can hear the distant, faint high pitched coyote vocalizations. You can hear the swish of wings and the scratch of something walking in leaves. Batteries last a week and are very cheap.

UPDATE:

I am driving back from 3 days of hunting coyotes, rocks and rock chucks in WY and MT.

I fired about a dozen rounds with my unbraked 6.5-284.

I hunted with partners so I needed the ability to communicate.

We had wind sometimes up to 15 mph.

I wore the SoundGear units each day for 4 or 5 hours at a time.

Wow, am I happy with them.

Plenty of protection, never heard wind whistle, never wanted to take them out for a break other than at lunch time.

Communication was perfect.

-Len Backus-
---------------------------------

Big Sky03/29/2013, 07:43

I was one of the guys Len hunted with this week. I have had other friends use hearing protection in the past while hunting on coyote stands or even while hunting big game. It usually causes a lot of issues. Most units really hamper one's ability to hear. I have become very frustrated, at times, while trying to communicate with partners wearing different forms of hearing protection. This is the first time there were zero issues with being able to communicate. The Sound Gear units impressed me quite a bit from the non-wearer's point of view. Anytime I had to whisper while on the stand Len did not have any trouble hearing me. The units were so small that most of the time I didn't even notice Len was wearing them. As I get older my hearing seems more and more important to me. I'm thinking I might just have to get a set of these Sound Gear hearing protection units for myself. On a side note, when Len comes out to hunt he usually has all kinds of different gear to test and use. This trip was no exception. On this hunt, aside from his wonderful 6.5-284 (which was an absolute joy to shoot), the Sound Gear product was the highlight, for me anyway. It's a cool little tiny product that makes a difference in a HUGE way!

Agree with ear muffs getting in the way...that's why I use disposable foam earplugs.

What?! :D

Due to a decade or so in the Welding/fabrication industry (& some poor PPE choices) I have tinnitus as well. I can barely tolerate rimfire cartridges w/o having it screw with my ears. I can't stand muffs, they are constantly in the way. I used to do the foam plugs but kept losing the dern things or they'd get covered in crud from taking them in & out.

I'm using the new SureFire plugs now & like them quite a bit.

t

I Agree with everyone on the form and others. My only issue is the Cost because there is both wife and I who shoot. So that is why I haven't just jumped on the electronic ones....

Phil

I Agree with everyone on the form and others. My only issue is the Cost because there is both wife and I who shoot. So that is why I haven't just jumped on the electronic ones....

Phil

I Understand your point. The only skepticism I have is the lack of first hand experience (on my behalf). I can afford the electronic ear pro but I've never been around nor ever used it. Call me a pessimist but I'm affraid of spending +$400 on ear pro (or any equipment) that I don't like.

t

Howard leight's Impact Sports here. 22 Dec of NR. Low profile work well for me.

This is the same as we use, along with form for high power. We just purchased some Surefire EP5s to try and they seem to work Real well for 22's that we shot today. We are going to shoot our AR's tomorrow and will let you guy's know more then.

Phil

I use winchester dual ear plugs...solid one one side, filtered on the other, ive got two sets( one set in semi) the filtered side communication is a non issue, and no batteries!

As far as tinnitus..Lipo-Flavenoid...youll think it isnt workin till you quit takin it but it works....

OK, here is my answer about the Surefire EP5's, we used them yesterday with our AR 's they seem to work Very well. We were at our local range and others there along with a black powder, mini 14 and other AR. The wife said she needed her muffs after some of others started but the Surefire did work. So I think for now that is what I plan to use......

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.