OK I'm going to learn how to use MOA instead of a custom dial. Scenario Questions

excaliber

As the title says I'm going to try to learn how to use MOA instead of a custom dial to shoot out to 1000 yards. I have this scenario and was hoping some of you experienced hunters can walk me through the steps and where I should go to learn them.
Here's the scenario:

I'm glassing this basin and I see a nice bull and he's out there a ways. I use my rangefinder and he's at 650 yards. The Elk is on the edge of cover and slowly feeding into the trees and you have about 30 seconds to take this shot or lose the opportunity.
The wind is 15 mph from the right at 60 deg quartering to me. The temp is 30 degrees and the elevation is 6000'.
My ballistic chart for the 200 Gr ELD-X says I need to come up 10.8 moa.

What tool(s) are you using to get the dope for this shot and how long would it take you to get it? Can it be done this quickly in different conditions?

I use a Kestrel AB Elite and a Leica 2800.com paired with Bluetooth. If my Kestrel was set up on a tripod or I had checked the wind with it in my hand then just a matter of ranging and dialing. The Leica gives me the range and elevation and windage in the viewfinder. If I had to check wind and range then imput to my phone app and then dial I would be rushed.
You are on the right track. Once you learn to think in MOA it is much more accurate using station conditions. Custom dials are a great idea until they are not. They are only good for one set of conditions. I hunt in different conditions and weather. It took me a while to get to where I am at.
The phone was the weak link. Not only was it time consuming it don't work in cold weather. Now the weak link is the Bluetooth but if I pay attention to it and pair it once I am in the field it seems to work in any weather. You do have to watch the battery life as it is diminished in cold weather. I use Lithium if I can get them.

Use a drop chart, it's the only way that you will have any chance of doing the math with that short of time. Most people shoot long range specifically because they feel that they will have more time to take the shot, I always expect the worst case scenario. On your drop chart list wind errors with either a 10 or 15 mph wind and then just multiply the amount of windage adjustment to match up with your actual wind estimate. If your listed wind error is 3 MOA then you add 1.5 MOA for a 15 mph wind, approximately 4.5 MOA.

Nope that is the problem. I was using a Sig 2000 and phone app. but below about 20 degrees F the phone would go blank if it was out of my pocket very long. The weak link is the phone. A better solution is to have a very good drop chart on your stock and a good rangefinder. You can customize your drop chart to the average temp and elevation and other environmentals and then range, check chart and dial. At 650 you will be fine with average conditions beyond that you need accurate station conditions to make a accurate shot.

That will work. I did have a $100 wind and temp meter. The new Kestrel 2700 for $179 might help it is good for one rifle at a time. I used Strelok Pro app it is very good. Hornady 4dof app is good for Hornady bullets. Elevation and Temp make a difference. Those are things that you can input into the app. The Humidity can just be set at 50%.
The wind is the biggest deal breaker. Your 30 sec time limit is the deal breaker. Even at $1500 my system is not fool proof. Keeping them connected is the challenge. When connected it does as designed very fast and accurately. The Sig 2400 is $1200 and is still better with a Kestrel.

Yuppers,, pretty simple with a free ballistic app of the bullet your using,,, all the particulars of the rifle and barrel,,, and the frugal kestrel wind meter...

Make up the dope cards and test those numbers in real time...

Re-write them once your done...

Keep everything the same and go kill $4!+,,, practice and retest the package a few times through out the season,,, that way you will know if your rifle and ammo are consistan...

Don

You can't assume the wind at your location is the same between you and the target
Making assumptions of any kind misses shots. I keep a card taped on my stock giving dialup to yardage in 25 HD increments and use a Kestrel for weather if my Kilo 2400 was to fail. I would pass on the shot you presented.

As the title says I'm going to try to learn how to use MOA instead of a custom dial to shoot out to 1000 yards. I have this scenario and was hoping some of you experienced hunters can walk me through the steps and where I should go to learn them.
Here's the scenario:

I'm glassing this basin and I see a nice bull and he's out there a ways. I use my rangefinder and he's at 650 yards. The Elk is on the edge of cover and slowly feeding into the trees and you have about 30 seconds to take this shot or lose the opportunity.
The wind is 15 mph from the right at 60 deg quartering to me. The temp is 30 degrees and the elevation is 6000'.
My ballistic chart for the 200 Gr ELD-X says I need to come up 10.8 moa.

What tool(s) are you using to get the dope for this shot and how long would it take you to get it? Can it be done this quickly in different conditions?
I would range the elk with my gun works G7BR2 rangefinder it will give me my ballistic calculation I already know the wind in 5 mile an hour increments and I can either dial or hold the reticle in my scope

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts