Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. So like if you and the guy next to you are sitting next to a guy with a 338 you would be the ones to needMore right?

I just cannot get excited as some people seem to be about the 6.5 creedmore. I have never been a real fan of the 243 either. I am speaking specifically about using these calibers at 4-500 plus yards. I think a heavier bullet and a bigger diameter is in order for long range shots on elk, moose, bear especially. Whitetail deer ok I guess but the wound channel may not be effective on marginal hit. Just my two cents. How do you other long range hunters feel about this?
You dont have to like it, but why post this? Are you trying to convince yourself one way or another? Have you owned one yet? Truth is its a very fine cartridge. It has characteristics that make it very pleasant to shoot and very accurate and has some of the best ammo factory wise out there to help promote its accurate ways! Its not the king of power or speed, but doesnt need to be, it does its thing very well hit the target and you smile!
Its like The perfect woman small but curvy in all the right places, not gorgeous but pretty and cute as a button and you just love holding her, she completes you lol! All the LR big hitters are just high maintenance Bitches!

Last edited:
You dont have to like it, but why post this? Are you trying to convince yourself one way or another? Have you owned one yet? Truth is its a very fine cartridge. It has characteristics that make it very pleasant to shoot and very accurate and has some of the best ammo factory wise out there to help promote its accurate ways! Its not the king of power or speed, but doesnt need to be, it does its thing very well hit the target and you smile!
Its like The has perfect woman small but curvy in all the right places, not gorgeous but pretty and cute as a button and you just love holding her, she completes you lol! All the LR big hitters are just high maintenance Bitches!

LOL gonna take that CM out to dinner Thursday?

Here's my take on the 6.5 creedmoor and why it has became so popular. First off as all here know it was marketed well. Secondly, I think everyone interested enough in LR and ELR hunting that partakes in this forum understands what the cartridge does well, and what it does not do well. I think the so-called "fan boy's" are mostly relegated to enthusiasts who don't reload and aren't into the technical side of things unlike most shooters on this forum. I think the "magical" aspect came about as much or more due to high quality, accurate load offerings produced by the ammo manufacturers rather than anything specifically better about the actual cartridge. Although it is IMO a great cartridge, but not for me an ELR elk cartridge etc.

Joe "Outdoorsman" can go buy a cheap rifle and some high quality ammo and get results he may not have gotten from a cheap rifle and factory ammo from other calibers. Lots don't understand much about barrel twist rates etc, and for many the weight range of a lots of factory ammo is mostly relegated to 120gr thru 147gr. That's a pretty small window. Its not like a person trying to get accuracy out of a .308 1:10 twist with very short low weight projectiles.

In summary, I love the cartridge. Does lot's of what I like. Fine for whitetail, mule deer, even possibly elk with a well placed shot at nominal ranges. It does however, like all cartridges, have its trade off's. I think all cartridges do. As far as not liking the caliber do to the supporter's, that does not bother or influence me in either direction. I make my own decisions based upon what I know. I'm not going to miss out on any cartridge that I personally believe fits my needs do to unrealistic hype.

I just cannot get excited as some people seem to be about the 6.5 creedmore. I have never been a real fan of the 243 either. I am speaking specifically about using these calibers at 4-500 plus yards. I think a heavier bullet and a bigger diameter is in order for long range shots on elk, moose, bear especially. Whitetail deer ok I guess but the wound channel may not be effective on marginal hit. Just my two cents. How do you other long range hunters feel about this?

The problem with the 6.5 Creedmoor is that it has been oversold and overhyped. It is a good cartridge — almost as good as a .260 Rem, with better factory ammunition availability. It's a GREAT cartridge for Eastern whitetail deer hunting where shots beyond 400 yards are a rarity, and the low recoil makes it easy to shoot.

On elk, especially "at range", it's marginal at best. Those selling it as an elk cartridge are asking for a lot of elk to die a slow death 3-days after being shot. A .340 Weatherby it is not! Elk are large tough animals. True, a perfect shot with a .22 to an elk's brain will drop the elk, but in the real world shots are rarely perfect. I argue in favor of using enough gun to quickly kill even if shots are not perfect. For me that means using nothing less than a .300 mag on elk, and nothing less than .338 on brown bear.

I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor only because I own a .260 Rem. Even if I did it would not be my "do-all" gun — it would be a great gun for the niche it fills. That's how the 6.5 Creedmoor should be seen.

Its like The perfect woman small but curvy in all the right places, not gorgeous but pretty and cute as a button and you just love holding her, she completes you lol! All the LR big hitters are just high maintenance Bitches!
really???

I would not believe anyone who said that they didn't like a 18" Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5CM with a Harvester Suppressor and a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce.

I don't like it. I understand with how common suppressor ownership is becoming the desire for short barrels. A creedmoor is optimal in a 24 inch barrel. It does well from a 22 inch barrel. In an 18 inch barrel a 308 or 7mm-08 would likely outperform it. I like having a cartridge matched to the job. I did see a fieldcraft in 6.8 SPC on a mini action with an 18 inch barrel that I did like.....a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.