Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is fake news. The 270 with the same weight bullet still beats the creed to 500, and if the barrel twist rate on the 270 was faster than 1-10 and was able to hurl bullets of the same bc , the creed would really take a back seat to the old win. This is just from Thumbing through Ballistics tables. For the record I prefer a 6.5 swede and the 280 rem.thats all i have to say about that ( gump voice)

:cool:

With a couple of 6.5-284s and a 6.5 Sherman in the safe, I never felt any love towards the Creedmoor. Then I bought one ( a new custom here on the site) for a first rifle for my grandson.

While doing barrel break-in and load development, I grew to really like the durned thing. Everything shoots well in it, or so it seems. It's shooting 1/3 moa @ 400 with 120s & 4350, with minimal work.

I'm sure it's a great coyote and deer cartridge. Because my grandson doesn't get it til Christmas, I'll take it to Colorado and Montana, as a light weight backup to my Sherman. In fact, I'm having a SwitchLug lightweight built in 7-08 & 6.5 Creedmoor with EH-3 and 2B Bartleins @ 24". The older I get, the mountains get steeper and light is better, both in weight and recoil.

The Creedmoor is not a long range hammer on big game, but it is quite able to take deer to 4-500 yds and bang steel to 1k. It won't replace my Sherman or 264wm or 7STW or 6.5-284 or my all-time favorite 280 rem, but it's fun to shoot and that's it's niche.

To all the idiots who think a 6.5CM is advertised as or capable of killing an elk at 1250 yards please SHUT UP already. NOBODY IS ADVERTISING THE CARTRIDGE AS A DO ALL LONG RANGE BIG GAME KILLING MACHINE!!!! How are hard is that to grasp??? It is a fine cartridge for medium game at intermediate ranges and it's an excellent prs cartridge. Yup no better than a 260rem.... But guess what (mudrunner), Remington couldn't market a laser gun if they had one. So now we have the CM. Boo hoo

I'd liken to understand the fanatics but the 6.5 creed does nothing great however it does alot of things well. It's by far and away not the most accurate cartridge out there, nor does it carry an abundance of energy for elr hunting. On the pro side of things it feeds extremely well out of a short action magazine with higher bc bullets and is pleasant to shoot without a brake in a light rifle. If I shot in the prs series I'd seriously think about shooting a 6 creed.

I just cannot get excited as some people seem to be about the 6.5 creedmore. I have never been a real fan of the 243 either. I am speaking specifically about using these calibers at 4-500 plus yards. I think a heavier bullet and a bigger diameter is in order for long range shots on elk, moose, bear especially. Whitetail deer ok I guess but the wound channel may not be effective on marginal hit. Just my two cents. How do you other long range hunters feel about this?

Look at it. It doesn't even look like a long range hunting cartridge. Add 10 grains of capacity and it's a different story. But that's not what it is. It was never made to be a long range hunting cartridge as far as I know. I can confirm that it will score hits on steel past that.

As far as the rest of the hoopla, who gives a rats ***? Buy it, feed it, shoot it; whatever it is. If you want to get mad at people for doing that then you're just crabby.

As far as the aircraft carrier, I see'nt it. Shooter was in a rubber raft, 2.5 miles away and did it with iron sights, in the dark, with a headwind. Poseidon himself towed the guy back to shore, shook his hand and said creedmoor's are too powerful for the ocean.

I just cannot get excited as some people seem to be about the 6.5 creedmore. I have never been a real fan of the 243 either. I am speaking specifically about using these calibers at 4-500 plus yards. I think a heavier bullet and a bigger diameter is in order for long range shots on elk, moose, bear especially. Whitetail deer ok I guess but the wound channel may not be effective on marginal hit. Just my two cents. How do you other long range hunters feel about this?
I own one and I like everything about it. That being said it does not come with me on any hunting trips. Its a good caliber thats accurate and easy to load for but I hate when some idiot on TV takes one Elk hunting just to prove a point. I think that its irresponsible and stupid to shoot anything larger than a deer with one. Sure I can kill an Elk at 400 yards with my 223 but Im not dumb enough to try. Its nice though to have access to a wide selection of high quality factory ammo that feeds from a mag for those who don't reload.

I wonder how many people whining about the Creedmore actually have one, I wasn't interested being naturally repulsed by things everyone else likes but I bought my daughter one because it made the most sense for her. I've been loading it and working with it and holy crap, the thing is just an excellent round, I can't make the thing shoot bad even with the cheap factory stuff at every store around. It's landed right spot on a sweet spot that is just so easy it almost takes the fun out of it!
This year I know of some high number elk guys with serious elk rigs and they shot one elk with a big 30 cal this year all the rest were with a 6.5 Creedmore, it's the most popular gun in elk camp for a couple years running for a reason, it's easy to drive and has a spectacular bullet selection to run out of it, IMO if you can't cleanly take an elk with one you shouldn't be trying with anything larger!

I remember when I was trying to doubt the power of the 6.5 creedmoor, then I built a AR-10\SR25 version and I became part of the creed nation. You will eventually get it, once you mature and then you will understand. Until then we still welcome you to join the club, you will eventually, but we can wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.