Ok, Hornay, one of my favorite companies did it again.-A New Mono on the Market

My how people have such short term memories. Remember when people asked for an apology from Steve on how he treated his employee's, then went on a witch hunt for the person who exposed them? Don't remember? I do. Just like I will remember the current crop of price gouger's.
So, I don't care if he has a new mono. I refuse to buy anything Hornady until he makes it right.
Without integrity, the 2nd amendment is worthless.

Personally I love the small "boutique" manufacturers because they are the "cutting edge" that is driving larger companies like Hornady to innovate and give us not just more choices but superior products over what they've produced in the past.

Most people under 50 probably have no idea what it was like for the last half of the last century.

There was no internet, no youtube only a handful of magazines where new products would really be debuted for the public and the handful or writers and editors that decided what products would be pushed severely limited and controlled the market.

Word of mouth is a really amazing thing, somebody has an idea, shares it with someone else and maybe it gets then into the head or desk of someone that can carry that idea forward. Without the internet it might take decades to see a really great new idea actually come to market.

Today, with light speed communications at the fingertips of everyone with a phone the rate at which technology is advancing is orders of magnitude faster and continually accelerating.

The big manufacturing companies are generally way behind the curve and of course tend to be very conservative or they'd be out of business. Never forget it's those small guys willing to take a whole lot of risk that are improving the market for everyone, they lead the way and the big guys follow.
I was a small boutique bullet manufacturer for 30 years on the back of J4 jackets. making it all possible. The four guys that started J4 had an association with Sierra but could see an opportunity to make a better concentricity jacket for a couple of emerging bullet/die makers.
Clarence Deitch bullets and dies were highly sought after, he made the dies for the 224 Remington benchrest bullets. Most new ideas start in Benchrest and the gunsmiths that are capable of doing this precision work. Then the large manufacturers are faced with duplicating this with volume manufacturing.

Came across this last night.

Hornady seems to have recognized the trend towards mono's and has come into the market with their own new offering.

I've been a really big fan of Hornady for better than 30 years since I first started shooting their varmint bullets when I was hiding and doing predator control and shot their Interbond, in my opinion the best bonded bullet in the US for as long as they were manufactured.

Once I get things set up again I'm going to have to try their CX bullets.

If nothing else I'll have to give the 190gr 30 cal and 250gr .375's a ride just for fun.
Who's Hornay?

Every company with 100 or more employees was basically on the chopping block with the new Covid Mandates until SCOTUS shot them down last week.

No doubt state and local mandates have been crippling a lot of manufacturing as well.

One of my two best friends ordered a new pickup 8 months ago and they still could not get it produced for him because of some stupid chip they were lacking so he finally gave up and bought one off of a lot last week.

You mean "because of some SMART chip they were lacking..." What was stupid was the American public going along with and politicians pushing outsourcing and offshoring starting 40 years ago in the name of a "free marketplace" and "globalism". GREAT idea; send your engineers to the Phillipines, Taiwan, Singapore, India, and elsewhere, and make them train their replacements so that the corporation can show higher profits while keeping the sale prices the same...or raise them and reap even higher profits. Then watch everything crumble when the supply chains get clogged or go down. We are lucky that China had an unreliable power grid 30 years ago because that stopped companies from moving IC production there.

I'm not, it's simply not accurate.

Hornady did a great job marketing the Needmore for it's intended purposes but I never saw or heard them make any such ridiculous claims.

People make mistakes then they feel a need to justify them by exaggerating.

Trust me the endless threads on miracles performed with the Needmore got pretty nauseating after a while and the guys posting them of course eventually tucked their tails and limped off when nothing came close to substantiating their claims.
So do we escape the Needmore syndrome with a Rem 260? LoL, Barely. It escapes criticism because it wasn't marketed, not because of its overwhelming superiority to the CM. LoL, if you think the 6.5 CM is a punk cartridge, what about the 6.5 grendel or any of the other slew of AR purposed low velocity rounds? Guys on the 6.5G forum are talking about killing elk with them while here guys say you need at least an X, with X=/> 270Win.

Anyway that's all off topic. Real world reports here will tell the tale within the next 12 months. BC tests will be easy to perform and repeat and verify. But I expect that we will see stories of no expansion and fantastic terminal performance like we have with Barnes.

I'm curious to know if others are like me, where they shoot led core for target and general recreational shooting, and shoot the monos only when doing load development and characterizing the flight/drop pattern with the intent of hunting.

For a long time, monos were the most expensive bullets I bought at .65-.75 each, so I developed loads only for hunting with them, then I got into Bergers which are now up at former Barnes prices. Now I see Barnes north of $1 each! Glad I stocked up way back when...Oh but now I have to by CXs, cuz they kill at such greater ranges than Barnes. Maybe when I run low some day.

Hornady does great marketing, and you can't fault them for that. However if their product does not perform, by all means, let it be known.

So do we escape the Needmore syndrome with a Rem 260? LoL, Barely. It escapes criticism because it wasn't marketed, not because of its overwhelming superiority to the CM. LoL, if you think the 6.5 CM is a punk cartridge, what about the 6.5 grendel or any of the other slew of AR purposed low velocity rounds? Guys on the 6.5G forum are talking about killing elk with them while here guys say you need at least an X, with X=/> 270Win.

Anyway that's all off topic. Real world reports here will tell the tale within the next 12 months. BC tests will be easy to perform and repeat and verify. But I expect that we will see stories of no expansion and fantastic terminal performance like we have with Barnes.
The Needmore made a big splash on the tactical competition scene immediately really even before most people had heard of the round.

Like every fad that's hit spurred by what's winning this year in every discipline of shooting. All they guys and gals who thought they were on the verge of being competitive rushed out to get theirs.

Unlike most of those fads though Hornady and Ruger were ready and had factory rifles, ammo and components standing buy waiting for the rush.

Immediately there are hundreds or thousands of guys and gals shooting the Needmore telling us tremendous "stories" of all the amazing accomplishments they'd made with them shooting everything from eggs at a thousand yards to elephants at ten yards. Yes, I'm exaggerating as much as they did.

Hornady didn't make those fantastic claims in their advertising, neither did Ruger, it was a bunch of folks that jumped onto the train blowing a lot of hard earned money in many cases trying to justify to themselves and their friends that expense.

Tall tales are nothing new, Babe the Blue Ox, Daniel Boone, Johnny Appleseed, Big Bad John, John Henry and on and on, just add "Needmore Lore" to the pile.

Before all these tactical and long range tacti-centered venues came about and exploded after 9-11 we had the same kinds of fads erupt out of the Benchrest world, just at a slower pace since people were primarily reliant on monthly or bi-monthly magazines and weekly sporting shows.

The Needmore just caught the right wave and of course Remington as usual blew yet another great opportunity to grab a huge chunk of market share with the .260 by not doing the same thing, putting rifles chambered in it in the hands of the big guys on the shooting circuits and equipping them with all they needed to succeed.

The two rounds are almost twins, using the same case, producing the same ballistics.

Winchester did the same thing to a smaller degree with the WSM and WSSM's, Remington with the SAUM's neither of which had a whole lot of staying power.

The last thing Remington really did right was the 7mm-08 and I heard the same kinds of miraculous stories about it's performance as soon as it hit the market.

The internet though was the tool that allowed the WOM to travel at light speed from discussion board to discussion board and because of the success of the competition shooters were having the Needmore became the most overhyped cartridge of all time.

It's just another nice, mild, medium velocity 6.5 but nobody that bought one wanted to admit it.

Last edited:
Comparing Hornady's own CMX ammunition to GMX ammunition in 6.5 Creedmoor shows lower speed & energy with the CMX. Kinda disappointing they're not showing an improvement in their own product.

120 gr CMX Superperformance120 gr GMX Superperformance
VELOCITY​
ENERGY​
TRAJECTORY
VELOCITY​
ENERGY​
TRAJECTORY​
(FPS)​
(FT/LB)​
(INCHES)
(FPS)​
(FT/LB)​