Ok, Hornay, one of my favorite companies did it again.-A New Mono on the Market

If its "their market" than yeah it is most advanced mono. Its only competing against the GMX.

The only perspective I have is Hornady can add more bullet selection to the "market" then, how is that not a good thing? Maybe these bullets will take demand off the other really good cup and core?
What I know is this, the market always eventually sorts itself out, the best always rise to the top and the best of the cheaper stuff will be behind leading sales.

Either way, each time one of these companies does something new and innovative it drives the rest to come up with something to, "top it" to keep or increase their marketshare.

Who benefits? Us.

It is a good thing....its just not the best thing....I said it before, I applaud any new product....not necessarilly the best product

I've put 7 years now into exploring mono's. "The Best" is always a relative term.

To me the "Best" is the bullet I can always count on to perform predictably in the air and when it hits the target. So far, I have yet to find anything that outperforms the Peregrine VLR's but I'm much more particular about terminal performance than most seem to be. I'll gladly give up some BC for that kind of performance because let's face it, while I like to be prepared to shoot a game animal at 600-1,000 and have had some success even beyond that, 90-95% of my shooting on game is going to be between 300-600yds so the, "Highest BC in it's Class" which was the big LR marketing term a few years ago doesn't mean that much.

Beyond that I may have to compensate more for drop and windage but let's face it, with today's ballistic calculators that's just not a big deal. If you're shooting MPBR faster and flatter wins the race but even there BC is of little consequence if any in practical terms.

Man I'm just not seeing anything exciting whatsoever. The expansion at 2000fps just looks like an FMJ basically lol. Hell yeah it'll penetrate deep with no tip deformation 😅

The thing that makes me go hmmm is the 10 twist recommendation on the 190gn 308.

They missed a huge marketing opportunity to say it requires an 8 twist so they can sell a million more 300 PRCs because they come out of the box and off the rack that way. No old Fuddy Duddy 10 twists allowed 🤣 Only to be sold loaded in 300 PRC, all the Winny guys can go whine about the kids on their lawns 👴

For seriousness though, would be interesting to get to handle and measure one. By the look of it with that tip it might be short enough to really stabilize in a 10 twist.

The thing that makes me go hmmm is the 10 twist recommendation on the 190gn 308.

They missed a huge marketing opportunity to say it requires an 8 twist so they can sell a million more 300 PRCs because they come out of the box and off the rack that way. No old Fuddy Duddy 10 twists allowed 🤣 Only to be sold loaded in 300 PRC, all the Winny guys can go whine about the kids on their lawns 👴

For seriousness though, would be interesting to get to handle and measure one. By the look of it with that tip it might be short enough to really stabilize in a 10 twist.
Most guys today building a 30 cal are going to an 8 or 9 twist to shoot longer and heavier monos and VLD type bullets so if anything they may be ahead of the game.

Hornady was and still is the leader in innovation and design that most all of the new companies have fed off of their work in one fashion or another. If you can't tell.
.I'm a die hard Hornady fan. They never let me down and their prices were always fair.

Hornady along with Nosler was and still is the leader in innovation and design that most all of the new companies have fed off of their work in one fashion or another. If you can't tell.
.I'm a die hard Hornady fan. They never let me down and their prices were always the most competitive. Just my thoughts here.

Hornady was and still is the leader in innovation and design that most all of the new companies have fed off of their work in one fashion or another. If you can't tell.
.I'm a die hard Hornady fan. They never let me down and their prices were always fair.
If it works for you, I say USE them...I have different experiences, especially with loaded ammo. For me, worst loaded ammo in 300 AAC and 300 WBY, three different shooters, three different rifles...an experience, not an opinion.

If it works for you, I say USE them...I have different experiences, especially with loaded ammo. For me, worst loaded ammo in 300 AAC and 300 WBY, three different shooters, three different rifles...an experience, not an opinion.
I did mean reloading actually. I have only used their loaded ammunition once in the past 50 years😉 ( and that was just two years ago when I was working in Montana and didn't have my reloading equipment) . I haven't used factory loaded ammo otherwise since I was 16. Good point!

I agree with both of your experiences…

I love hornady PROJECTILES…and sometimes them and Speer are the only ones left not wanting me to choose between affording to eat and affording to go shooting!

Hornady BRASS is just plain irritating to work with, and their loaded ammo is very overrated and overpriced for what you get (for cheap full power loads Winchester super x has always delivered, and if I were ever to spend big money on premium ammo again, federal premium is awesome stuff…a bit pricey and honestly a bit watered down but it's accurate as all get out, every different federal premium combo I've tried SHOOTS!)

I have never seen any manufacturer talk about how grooves impact BC; it has to generate some parasitic drag.
We're gonna end up with bullets full of golf ball dimples to decrease air drag…there's an old Simpsons episode from when the Simpsons was still funny, i forget what happened but homer ended up punching a bunch of holes in Flanders' car, and convinced him he was just being neighborly and putting "speed holes" in his car to help it drive faster 🤣. We're gonna have bullets with speed holes soon!

Not really though. I've actually looked into this, wondering why no one's done that. Turns out the rules are all different at supersonic speeds and no, denting up a bullet won't improve anything haha.

Recent Posts