Ok, Hornay, one of my favorite companies did it again.-A New Mono on the Market

I used Interlocks for decades with good results, so got a decent supply of GMX for the calibers I shoot. Never know when non-lead would be legislated, and I want to be ready, since availability is poor, Well, non-existent for the new GMX replacement which Hornady says has the same metal composition. There are lots of published load data for the GMX; who knows how it will interchange for the new version. They say the BS's are better, but I don't see it when comparing GMX to CX.

No worries, I have found a replacement for the 30 cal 180 gr Interbond via the Mead Industries 180 gr Bonded Ballistic Tip "Ioxus" bullet, had fantastic results on a moose last fall

Incidentally... Hornady farms out mass production of a lot of their bullet lines over to Mead Industries .... also, Mead have certainly done their fair share of producing many thousands of tons of bullets for other big name manufacturers as well

They know how to make a bullet and my experience with the Ioxus was very positive, hoping they will make a 7mm & 338 next

Sorry for the derail but I felt It was relevant info regarding Hornady/Mead that most don't know about
Interesting, never heard of the company.

I used Interlocks for decades with good results, so got a decent supply of GMX for the calibers I shoot. Never know when non-lead would be legislated, and I want to be ready, since availability is poor, Well, non-existent for the new GMX replacement which Hornady says has the same metal composition. There are lots of published load data for the GMX; who knows how it will interchange for the new version. They say the BS's are better, but I don't see it when comparing GMX to CX.
Unfortunately if you hunt public land it's a certainty that sooner or later lead will be banned completely which is why I started experimenting with mono's about six years or so back.

The most consistent problem I've seen with them is a failure to expand resulting in bullets penciling through.

Unfortunately most things you add to copper to make alloys hardens the copper instead of softening it so it takes some pretty tricky engineering to solve that problem.

Peregrine Bullets was the first to really master that and I'm really hoping others will as well or once mono's are mandatory on public land a lot of game is going to be lost as a result.

Recent Posts