Ok guys im TORN... 7mmRUM, 300RUM, 30-375 or 338RUM??

joshua99ta

Guys I have been really been holding off on starting my new rifle build... and I guess I'm doing it b/c I'm having trouble deciding on a caliber.

I had a 7mmRUM sandero that was stolen.. so NOW I have over 100 new brass and probably 50 once fired cases, along w/ only one box of 7mm 180 gr bergers. and about a pound of retumbo, 3 lbs of imr7828 and a set of 7mmRUM dies.

SO I want to lean toward the 7mmRUM... BUT I keep reading such good things about the 7mmRUM, 30-378 and even the 338 rounds.

I probably wont be shooting @ game over 800 yards and mostly and rather often between 400 and 600. BUT I do want to be able to shoot on out to 1000 @ deer.

I wish there were heavier bullets for the 7mm but 180 is the heaviest I have found, but at the same time I've read on several occasions that the 300RUM is a way more effecient round.

Guys help me steer in the right direction!!! How can I make up my mind on what caliber to go with???

I wouldn't let IMHO-150 pieces of brass, a box of bullets and 3 lbs of powder have any bearing on my decision. Decide what you need and want and then worry later about what to do with that stuff. Having said that I think the 7mm RUM for your 800 yard shooting is a good option and I'd even the rare occasion 1000 yards you mentioned. I don't think you need to go with 338's just for a heavier bullet for that rare 1000yd shot. Unless you just have to have a 338, IMHO I think it's overkill since a vast majority of your shooting will be 800 yards and less. The only 338 I might consider would ne a 300Win Mag definitly good to 800 and in the right hands 900...maybe 1000. Just my 2 cents.

Guys I have been really been holding off on starting my new rifle build... and I guess I'm doing it b/c I'm having trouble deciding on a caliber.

I had a 7mm RUM sendero that was stolen.. so NOW I have over 100 new brass and probably 50 once fired cases, along w/ only one box of 7mm 180 gr bergers. and about a pound of retumbo, 3 lbs of imr7828 and a set of 7mmRUM dies.

SO I want to lean toward the 7mmRUM... BUT I keep reading such good things about the 7mmRUM, 30-378 and even the 338 rounds.

I probably wont be shooting @ game over 800 yards and mostly and rather often between 400 and 600. BUT I do want to be able to shoot on out to 1000 @ deer.

I wish there were heavier bullets for the 7mm but 180 is the heaviest I have found, but at the same time I've read on several occasions that the 300RUM is a way more effecient round.

Guys help me steer in the right direction!!! How can I make up my mind on what caliber to go with???

I think for what you are going to do with it the 7RUM is more than enough and is one of the
flattest rounds available and will take deer beyond 1000 yards.

If you had said elk, I would have recomended the 338 or the 300 but both are not nessary
for deer.

And you are familiar with the 7 RUM and with a custom barrel it should be more accurate than
the Sendero.and I would add a couple of inches to the barrel for even more velocity.

I think someone is making a 190gr bullet in .284 but again it is not nessary and with the 162
and 168 grain bullets they will perform great out to and past 1000 yards.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I really like the 300 rum,i think it's a great compromise between the big 7's and the 338's also the 30 cal's have such a huge range of projectiles available,i don't know about barrel life, but i assume it would be a little better on the 300 rum,just my 2 cents,i don't think you will leave yourself second guessing if you go for the 300!cheers.

thanks guys... I'm still going to way the options between the 300rum and 7rum... the 300 is looking good though. I do love the 7rum to though.

now I may shoot some elk but I probably wont be taking any shots past 400-500 on an elk... maybe up to 600?

I can feel a switch barrel coming on!!lol.What are your plans for the build action,tube etc..

right now I'm looking @ a kreiger barrel, stiller diamondback action and a jewel trigger as for the stock I'm really not sure yet.... I'm leaning toward an h-s but I'm also thinking mcmillan... Caliber and stock are the 2 things I am un decided on at this point.

I wasnt sure if I could actually neck the cases up. I havent seen much info on necking cases up. but that would definately be a cheaper route to go, being I don't have any 300RUM brass and I dang sure aint gunna buy factory loads to shoot to get once fired brass!

Wildcat bullets make a 200 grain bullet with a higher bc than the berger. I would stick with 7rum because it is flatter shooting and less recoil. Plus everybody and their brother has a 300 rum. Shooting an elk with a 7rum wouldn't be a problem either as I have witnessed it.

I used a stiller tac action for a recent build,i think you will be happy,if you decide to go for the 300 you may also be able to use your 7mm rum dies,ask your smith if he will use the same reamer he does your chamber in,matching dies to your chamber..yes please!!

So not trying to pick a fight but what does"Everybody and their brother having a 300RUM" have to do with anything?

"Everybody and their brother having a 300RUM" I think it's part of some good advise, meaning since there are so many he could borrow one if there's a need and so no sense having one thus go with a 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.