Ok guys im TORN... 7mmRUM, 300RUM, 30-375 or 338RUM??

Maybe because it's a little unique compared to the 300 and it is just as effective at long range, run the numbers. It is also flatter. The numbers don't lie. I own both and will be going to a 7/338 lapua with the 300 or maybe the am version. Not sure yet. The lapua brass is a big step up compared the the remmy brass. Primer pockets stay tighter, longer and it stands up to pressure better. Don't get me wrong the remmy brass isn't bad just takes alot more prep than the lapua for the same result. Same goes for Norma.

"Everybody and their brother having a 300RUM" I think it's part of some good advise, meaning since there are so many he could borrow one if there's a need and so no sense having one thus go with a 7mm.

Exactly, why deal with more recoil especially when he is doing very little large animal(elk) hunting. And comparing the 180 grn weights of bullets the bc of the 7 more than makes up for the lack of speed in the 300. Now when shooting my 300 I stick to the 210 vld's. I have also shot the 240's but they are not as consistent compared to the bergers. Both are great calibers but he already has components for the 7 so why not.

OK...thats what I thought, Your advise is to buy whats cool, or "unique". If the 300 rum is the best gun for the job thats what he needs to get. Im not saying it is, im just saying he needs to figure it out not using whats cool or unique as a factor.

Not wanting to get into a p contest but to some cool and/or unique is part of their criteria. Often is the case that it meets the other needs and is cool and unique.

Not wanting to get into a p contest but to some cool and/or unique is part of their criteria. Often is the case that it meets the other needs and is cool and unique.

I guess I hate to say it, but alot of things on my rifles were purchased because of the "cool or "unique" factor. I'm not into ****ing matches either so I guess this is a mute point.

Thanks guys... doesnt look like the 300 is shining as much right now.

yanno I know one person in my area that shoots an ultra mag period, its a 300rum.... so either are rare. I too like to be different. BUT I want something that is going to perform.

reason I was thinking about not going with not going with the 7mmRUM... is I hear a lot of stuff about the smaller rounds not carrying enough *** to dispatch animals on out to 1000 yards.

My 2 cents worth??? I have a 7rum sendero and a 30 378 accumark both have been gone threw by creditable gunsmiths and accurized. I load my own ammo for both. The 7rum will shoot better groups with just about any load combination I put threw it than the 30 378 will with the best combo I have found for it to date. With that being said I am currently looking for a 300rum sendero not the sendero 2 just dont like that new palm swell. just personal preference nothing wrong with it. Why do I want a 300rum just looking for little my take down beyond 600yds.

joshua99ta, so am I hearing you right? that the 300 rum and the 7mm rum aren't your likely choice? Or am I misunderstanding your last post?

Trying to pick a cal has got to be one of the hardest things to do. If you are going to custom, then get 30" of barrel and tight twist. That way you can take advantage of the custom bullets and mono metal bullets that are coming. Go 8" for the 30 and 7" for the 7mm. They will still work fine with quality hunting bullets. I think the 7rum with the long tube would be fun.

JMHO,

Steve

Thanks guys... doesnt look like the 300 is shining as much right now.

yanno I know one person in my area that shoots an ultra mag period, its a 300rum.... so either are rare. I too like to be different. BUT I want something that is going to perform.

reason I was thinking about not going with not going with the 7mmRUM... is I hear a lot of stuff about the smaller rounds not carrying enough *** to dispatch animals on out to 1000 yards.

Joshua,

There are couple of very simple rules of thumb when choosing cartridges.

First is.... the bigger the better.... when it comes to killing effectiveness. bigger diameter holes and bigger bullets with more mass on target will do more damage and kill better on average.

Next is.... the faster and farther you want the go the more powder you need to burn. The more powder you want to burn the bigger the case you need.

Third is... it all comes with a cost... bigger brass, bullets and more powder will cost a little more in $$$ and they will have more recoil. Recoil can be dealt with in a few ways and one popular way is with a brake. Brakes are very nice for diminishing recoil but also come with a cost. They make a very big noise, add a little to the length and weight of a rifle and can be an encumberance on a carry rig.

Beyond the basic rules of thumb there are other things to consider such as specific bullet availblity in ea cal. When selecting cartridges some overbore cartridges tend to go through barrels fairly quickly and rebarreling will cost $$$ and down time. If you several rifles and the budget, that's not a big deal.

You need to consider the rules and determine your priorities.

For a primary hunting rifle, I would put function ahead of cool. You might be able to have both.

I set *MY* priorities this way.... 30 cal min for primary hunting rifle which includes elk. RUM cartridge for 1K plus range. 30 cal max for recoil. This narrows it down to a 300 RUM for me. With a good rifle I can reach 1000 yds and I can handle the recoil without a brake which is what I want for a carry rifle. Those are *MY* priorites.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Last edited:
oh the 7rum and 300rum are still the main focus.... now which one is gunna be an iffy situation.

steve... I will definately be going with a minimum of 28" barrel. I just realized that I stated that I was wanting to use a Kreiger... I obviously made a typo and I meant a shillen... I think I may have looked off @ one of the side bars and had kreiger on my mind.

Also the gunsmith I deal with prefers shillen barrels, but he will build me anything I want. I loves building these extended range rifles.

Mark, I appreciate your post man! puts several things into perspective! I HAD to have a brake on my old 7mmrum sandero... it was pretty ruff shooting... maybe I'm just a big pansy but man it was ruff without it.... after the brake it was awesome! loved that rifle. BUT I'm sure I'll never get it back... BUT at the same time I'm thinking and hoping that one day I may get the rifle back and I'de hate to end up w/ 2 7mmrum rifles, which I guess I could always rebarrel it into something else.

cost isnt a huge issue UNLESS your talking about 338L brass that's $200 for 100... thats kind of crazy.

I think its gunna be a 300rum fellas...

Going once, going twice... 300 rum sold to the gentleman. Either one I think you'll be happy and heck slap a brake on it and enjoy:).

Joshua, I think the 300 RUM is a good choice for a primary LR hunting rig. If you ever decide to chase elk, it will be a little beter for that than a 7, not that the & cant get it done... it just goes back to basic rule #1.

The way I deal with recoil is to use a slip-on recoil pad. Works great for me and it can be taken off in the field but I usually leave it on. Some dont like that option. In my case the slip-on blends in nicely with the black Sendero stock.

Here's a pic of my Mountian Thunder....

Sako85RecoilLug057.jpg

The detail isn't real great but you can see it if you look.

Brakes are very nice for quick aquisition of target after shot, but for me, not worth the other cost.

Whatever you choose, have fun with it. I'm sure you will.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.