Ok Guys I need your advice

Ok ,heres what I'm looking for to finish my "packable" rifle, I'm 63 , 160 lbs and in decent shape,just don't want to carry more then I have to, so this is my list, any one know what scopes fit these wants?
1, first focal plane
2, low power 3-6, high end 15-24
3,Must be light weight
4,hoping for a smaller package as I want to put this on a model 7
5, must be MOA
6, really like tree type reticles
7. Below 1700.$
hoping some of you that have built mountain rifles have been there done that. Thanks in advance, John
If you haven't shot FFP scopes before I'd encourage you to try before buying.

I'd also encourage a very simple MOA or Mil Dot type reticle.

At High Power those gradiations are really tiny so at least with my almost 60yo eyes it's problematic.

My VX6's have the TMOA reticle and I love it but they are SFP scopes.

Unless you're doing your ranging with the scope instead of a range finder I don't find any real reason to go to FFP.

I use an H59 "Big Xmas Tree" reticle in a Bushnell Elite ERS scope for competition.
A much smaller but very usable G3 reticle is my choice on my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro (6 lbs. 3 oz.)

Right now I'd look at Nightforce scopes below the 28 oz. range simply for the great glass and literally mil-spec durability.
As well their turrets are bulletproof. But for hunting you should not be cranking turrets. Learn to use the G3 Xmas tree reticle on your local range at various distances. Get Vortex scope caps and a Vortex made "hold over table" for the inside of your ocular cap. Costs about $9. for a custom printed table.

Then, with a rangefinder and that table in your scope cap you can use the proper hold. Windage is on your experience but at least with the Xmas tree reticle you can use the windage lines and not have to hold "out in unmarked space".
Eric B.

I love light rifles. I've got 5 years on you and I've noticed I'm not getting younger and stronger. I shot out to 340 yards with a 8 oz. Leupold 2x7 Compact on my 5.5 lb. Browning Ti. At 400 yards, I was wishing for a little more magnification, so I bit the bullet and put a "heavy" 13.5 oz 3.5-10 Leupold on it. I feel that with a tree reticle, I don't need a dial. I am hard on my rifles, because I hunt rough country. I've found Leupold glass to be adequate and never had a failure on any Leupold.

If you haven't shot FFP scopes before I'd encourage you to try before buying.

I'd also encourage a very simple MOA or Mil Dot type reticle.

At High Power those gradiations are really tiny so at least with my almost 60yo eyes it's problematic.

My VX6's have the TMOA reticle and I love it but they are SFP scopes.

Unless you're doing your ranging with the scope instead of a range finder I don't find any real reason to go to FFP.
The biggest advantage in my mind between FFP and SFP, is the magnification for holdover or windage. As you know, with FFP it does not matter what mag power you are at, but SFP it could be max or somewhere close to max and during the heat of the moment, I personally do not want to remember to adjust my power for holdover. I watched a hunting show, the guy had a huge elk over 600yds away, shooting a 30-06, he verified the wind and held for the shot, squeezes trigger, elk looks around and gone. After going through his shot he realized he forgot to set his mag power to max while holding and shot several feet in front of the elk.

You want FFP and I also will suggest you really try one at all magnification ranges. Also, in all kinds of real world lighting and background situations. I have and use FFP and SFP and not one FFP on a hunting gun. I run a VX5 3-15 at 22oz with impact 29 past 1k just fine. Try one and if you want FFP try a MK5.

The biggest advantage in my mind between FFP and SFP, is the magnification for holdover or windage. As you know, with FFP it does not matter what mag power you are at, but SFP it could be max or somewhere close to max and during the heat of the moment, I personally do not want to remember to adjust my power for holdover. I watched a hunting show, the guy had a huge elk over 600yds away, shooting a 30-06, he verified the wind and held for the shot, squeezes trigger, elk looks around and gone. After going through his shot he realized he forgot to set his mag power to max while holding and shot several feet in front of the elk.
Well even those of us blessed with perfect eyes when we are young tend not to as we get past 50.

For me FFP just doesn't work because they are just too cluttered on higher magnification.

We spend a lot on good glass, I just like to give people things to consider before spending that kind of money based on a few decades of my own experience.

I find people that have never really known nothing else do great with FFP's, those of us who spent a lifetime with SFP's seem to struggle more and those of us with aging eyes particularly so.

Recent Posts