OK...Capt Beach's first AR thread here...

LOL its pretty **** poor isnt it. The whole army range need to be reworked and extended out to 600 meters with irons

Sure there are some good Army shooters but I have always stood in amazement at how mediocre US Army general marksmanship was. In the Corp we wore our marksmanship on our chests with pride...No one wanted to be seen with a "shitters seat" 'marksman" badge on their dress uniform...it was badge of poor performance and even the 'Sharp Shooters" Iron Cross badge was not much better... EVERYONE strove to get the Crossed Rifles of the 'Rifle Expert" badge and then later 2nd, 3rd, 4th ........award badges for continuing so...

A 3rd or 4th Award Rifle Expert badge and a Pistol Expert badge resting next to it on a Marine Dress or Dress Blue Uniform was a sure sign of a Marine Stud...

I was 4th Award Rifle and Pistol Expert, shot a "possible" at Marine Barracks Vallejo range in 1979 and again in 1980. A "possible" is a Perfect Score of 250 on the KD course. It required soaking the target after wards and the range officer verifying the target as 50 perfect shots from 200, 300 and 500 yards with Iron Sights with an issue service rifle...the crew pulling the butts were also required to sign and verify the target.

Last edited:
I remember the USMC rifles looking worse for wear, but they were maintained and able to shoot well.

The Army and NG have new and/or depot rebuilt weapons that look nice but don't seem to carry as much accuracy.

I remember the USMC rifles looking worse for wear, but they were maintained and able to shoot well.

The Army and NG have new and/or depot rebuilt weapons that look nice but don't seem to carry as much accuracy.

I can almost assure you...they are fairly accurate rifles too...its the nut behind the trigger that determines how it hits...the best NG marksmen I've ever seen were former Marines...

Thanks CPT B. I'll take that as a compliment on both fronts. I try to pass on what I can to help them out, at least the ones that want to listen.

And its challenging trying to convince them that maintaining there weapons is high on the priority list.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.