Oh No!!! I ruined my barrel with a bronze brush!

I've only heard that "wrong" cleaning can damage the crown , not the bore -- maybe I've been in the dark

But i have seen some info that indicates a polished bore can not only increase engraving force and pressure but also copper foul extremely fast. So I'm not sure a polished bore would be best either

Good video.

"I heard it on the internet so it must be true". How many times have we heard that one?

Worst you're going to do with the bronze brush is maybe uncover some flaws that were already there that were smoothed out because the barrel had not been thoroughly cleaned since it was brand new.

If Bronze is going to ruin your barrel so are copper alloys found in bullets.

I've only heard that "wrong" cleaning can damage the crown , not the bore -- maybe I've been in the dark

But i have seen some info that indicates a polished bore can not only increase engraving force and pressure but also copper foul extremely fast. So I'm not sure a polished bore would be best either
The rougher the bore the more, and more quickly carbon and especially copper will build up in it.

Theoretically you could damage the crown with a SS cleaning rod, hence the reason it's a good idea to use bras or an epoxy coated steel rod.

Theoretically you could damage the crown with a SS cleaning rod, hence the reason it's a good idea to use bras or an epoxy coated steel rod.
I'm not really a fan of coated rods (I have 2 coated and 2 uncoated rods on my cleaning bench at present), but of a bore guide and taking your time so you aren't getting slap happy and beating stuff up... I'm more afraid of the abrasive properties of a dirty coated rod or dirty brush than anything.
As far as a rod damaging the bore, no bore guide and a lip on the forward end of the rod (like some of the cheaper ones) might just beat up the origin of the rifling a bit. Something to keep in mind.

I'm not really a fan of coated rods (I have 2 coated and 2 uncoated rods on my cleaning bench at present), but of a bore guide and taking your time so you aren't getting slap happy and beating stuff up... I'm more afraid of the abrasive properties of a dirty coated rod or dirty brush than anything.
As far as a rod damaging the bore, no bore guide and a lip on the forward end of the rod (like some of the cheaper ones) might just beat up the origin of the rifling a bit. Something to keep in mind.
Makes sense. I just wipe mine down before and after each use.

Great video!! I may be a little OCD but only use bronze brushes with brass cores, a magnet makes quick work of checking them. Pro Shot brushes are the main brushes I've been using for a while, and I have a few of their cleaning rods. Had a Benchmark 4 groove 71/2 twist 6 CM spun up. It is scary accurate, should have a 100 rounds through it next time out.

Recent Posts