Ogive and OAL question?

Evan1678

So here is a question involving measuring from the ogive that I haven't seen asked before. I am reloading .270win, and in an attempt to seat the bullet .005 away from the lans. I noticed that the bullet was only seating about half way down the neck. this made the round look abnormally long, and that the bullet wasn't properly seated. I should note that I'm using Nosler partition 150gn. for a Rem. 700. When I looked in my Nosler reloading book the overall length that they tested very much shorter. What do I do know?

So here is a question involving measuring from the ogive that I haven't seen asked before. I am reloading .270win, and in an attempt to seat the bullet .005 away from the lans. I noticed that the bullet was only seating about half way down the neck. this made the round look abnormally long, and that the bullet wasn't properly seated. I should note that I'm using Nosler partition 150gn. for a Rem. 700. When I looked in my Nosler reloading book the overall length that they tested very much shorter. What do I do know?

The partition bullet is not the best bullet to run CBTO cartridge base to ogive measurements with along with other flat base bullets the ogive is forward of most boat tail designs. How is the length working in the mag of your 700? I generally seat them out where that allows.

The 150 partition is a real good choice in the 270 win.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

There was little room left but fit in the mag just fine. Worried me about how much bullet was sticking out of the neck. But I am also worried that no that I shortened it to where the book said, the bullet is too far away from the lans.

Why do you want to seat it .005 off the lands?
Your reloading manual most probably lists SAMMI specs. of OAL (base to tip) of the loaded round. I've never seen one that lists CBTO.

I have found that with my .308 having it closer to the lans tightened my groups. So it has become common practice for me to do this with my hand loads. This particular rifle just seems to be different. Just trying to make the most quality loads I can.

I would personally seat them so that the base of the bullet is near the junction of the neck/shoulder on the brass. Partitions are not as 'distance to the lands sensitive' as other bullets.

Load 5 each way...(5) - .005 off the lands and (5) - seated to the neck/shoulder junction

Shoot them both and see what you get. Then go from there.

Ideally you want something that will feed through the mag and shoot well. If it shoots well loaded to mag length then don't worry about getting close to the lands.

I won't seat a bullet any longer than what the diameter of the bullet is pressed inside the case neck. IE: a .308 bullet would have .308" pressed in the case neck and no less. Just a rule of thumb I try to keep.

Most of the Factory Remington rifles I own or buddies own all have very long throats. I tried to seat them .003 to .005 off the lands and the throat was too long for properly seating the bullet. You will have to probably seat them to mag. length and see how the shoot or single load them. My custom rifles have match throats and are short throated.

My Rem 700 in 270 also has a long throat. I am .030 off the lands and sub MOA for what it's worth.

I want to thank everyone for there input. It has been a real help. If their is any other information that I need to know please share. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.