Often misspelled or misused word here in LRH ...

If anyone is looking for the smartest in all categories he wont find him/her here. But if he reads all the post, he will find knowledge that he and others don't have in some areas. Common sense is one of those attributes that many people don't have in spite of their education because they weren't born with it. Everyone has some gift if they will look for it and use what they have, and don't worry about what they don,t have. :cool: :cool:

J E CUSTOM
Still schooling us!

I try hard out of respect of others to get it right. I look up words, and make sure spelling is good, but also definitions. Sometimes a word may be used that fits, but in a definition that isn't the primary.

Stock vs stalk is my quirk.

So much of human communication is non verbal. "Smile when you call me that" changes a conversation, and that defusing smile is missing in this medium. A conversation between folks that have interacted for a decade, may be viewed differently among the principles, than the other 100,000 people looking in.

... (incognizant or not), I know it is easy to do. :p Today is my chill day from school stuff, so here it goes for starters 😇 ...

"Muzzle break" instead of "muzzle brake".

"Blueprinting" vs "truing" vs "squaring" an action.

"Effect" vs "affect".

You know the "rules"!

ADDED: This is meant to bring self-awareness, nothing else.

It has become ubiquitous to replace nearly every verb with a form of the word "run". Now that I have mentioned it, some folks are going to notice it as much as I. I say let them spell it all wrong as long as they don't use run!

I noticed a few people said they're and their, but a lot of the grammatical errors are made by incorrectly spelling it as there which is the opposite of here. So really, the issue has been the confusion of their, they're and there. On forums in general. I'm not one to judge. I type fast, half the time my phone autocorrects to something else entirely, and I don't pretend to be a grammar expert and not use run-on sentences.

I like the importance of commas.
Let's eat grandpa is very different than let's eat, grandpa!
Or
I'm giving up drinking for a month.
Compared to
I'm giving up, drinking for a month.
A colon can change the meaning drastically too. My wife cooks the best steak ever. My wife cooks the best colon ever.

1623040177471.png

Help me understand your position on that;

running

[ ruhn-ing ]

See synonyms for running on Thesaurus.com

noun

1 the act of a person, animal, or thing that runs.

2 managing or directing: the running of a business.

3 an act or instance of racing: the 113th running of the Kentucky Derby.

4 the condition of a track or surface to be run or raced on: Our track team had muddy running today.
the amount, quality, or type of a liquid flow.

adjective

galloping, racing, moving, or passing rapidly.
(of a horse)

1. going or proceeding rapidly at the gait of a gallop.
  2. taught to proceed at a gallop.
creeping or climbing, as plants: a running vine.

adverb

in succession; consecutively: He slept badly for three nights running.

To me, use of the word 'running', as it applies to equipment, is appropriate - especially if it's an article or device I have used in the past and intend to use again - that is exactly what 'running' implies!

The one that grinds my gears (for no logical reason) is 'coarse' instead of 'course'

Haha, fun thread!

i dont give it too much thought on here. it's a forum. sure, it would be nice if you understand grammar and punctuation but we're arent writing books here. the only thing that bothers me on forums is your/you're and they're/their/there but i'm not losing any sleep over it.

go read a story on a news website though, they are full of errors. the local news had a headline the other morning that said "after accident, man gets car from gun and runs off". they corrected it about an hour later. they're left leaning though. they were probably so triggered that person had a gun in the car that they couldnt think straight.

Help me understand your position on that;

running

[ ruhn-ing ]

See synonyms for running on Thesaurus.com

noun

1 the act of a person, animal, or thing that runs.

2 managing or directing: the running of a business.

3 an act or instance of racing: the 113th running of the Kentucky Derby.

4 the condition of a track or surface to be run or raced on: Our track team had muddy running today.
the amount, quality, or type of a liquid flow.

adjective

galloping, racing, moving, or passing rapidly.
(of a horse)

1. going or proceeding rapidly at the gait of a gallop.
  2. taught to proceed at a gallop.
creeping or climbing, as plants: a running vine.

adverb

in succession; consecutively: He slept badly for three nights running.

To me, use of the word 'running', as it applies to equipment, is appropriate - especially if it's an article or device I have used in the past and intend to use again - that is exactly what 'running' implies!

The one that grinds my gears (for no logical reason) is 'coarse' instead of 'course'

Haha, fun thread!
"Using" is so correct, but not nearly as tacticool as "running."

It is now considered unfashionable to write without mistakes. Show me someone who complains about typos and writes a blog every day. Well, try me. See? There's no one like that. Because if a person is trying to offer their ideas every day and express them in an intelligent, orderly way, they have absolutely no business complaining about other people's typos. In this day and age, writing has to be frugal. One must now concentrate on discussions and ideas, and leave aside the process of editing and the pursuit of perfection. As the writing world progresses, spelling terrorists will be left out. Here are five reasons why complaining about spelling errors is completely silly and old-fashioned.

I call complete BS! Lazy spelling and grammar decreases the quality of communication. It is inconsiderate and demands more on the reader to extrapolate what the write intended. Furthermore, spelling and grammar is often a very good metric of a person's intelligence. I am more likely to trust a person's advice on reloading if they know their there/their/they're/there's/theirs. It's more likely they understand CBTO vs COAL or MOA vs. 1" at 100 yards.

Sometimes it's just petty. But unfashionable to write without sucking? Don't excuses for being lazy.

Recent Posts