Often misspelled or misused word here in LRH ...

I love to gripe. Here's my list of related gun talk gripes and life gripes because they make me feel D-U-M, dum.

Improper: "ambidextrious"
Proper: ambidextrous.
Bubba GunBoobers are the worst with this one.

Improper: symmetrical
Proper: "symmetric"
"Unless you're paid by the syllable or intentionally bombastic you should never use symmetrical instead of symmetric, or asymmetrical instead of asymmetric. The only reason to add -al is to convert the adjective to an adverb, as in symmetrically.

Dictionaries seem to have given a pass to adding the extra syllable to these two adjectives. But that is no more correct than turning basic into basical, or ironic into ironical (unless, perhaps, you're speaking sarcastically).

These examples illustrate that you should only add -al as part of -ally to convert a -ic adjective to an adverb."
Source for my correctal thinking

Improper: Rectical
Proper: Reticle or Reticule (later for those pinky lifting, tea drinking bretheren)
"Unless you're paid by the syllable or intentionally bombastic you should never use"

Improper: vapor trail
Proper: trace
Trace refers to the phenomenon created by a supersonic projectile causing significant pressure gradient which leads differential refraction of light causing a cone to be viewed from behind
Vapor-trail: More commonly caused by airplanes than bullets (not to be confused with contrails either). In bullets, it is a rare phenomenon in bullets where atmospheric conditions are optimal. In such a case, the pressure drop created by the bullet causes moisture in air to condense, forming a small cloud.

Improper: rear focus
Proper: reticle focus

Calling a bipod a tripod
🤯

"1000 yard gun" (After adjusting dope 29 times)

Mixing up terminology, e.g.:

"ProMark-X trigger" (X-Mark Pro) or other trademark name bastardizations
"Quarter inch minute of angle adjustments" (They are either1/4 moa 1/4 inch @ 100 yards)
"When the bullet is climbing" (as if to insinuate it is generating lift or flying)

While I'm on one.
I don't know what ****es me off more on GunBoobers:
1. "Let me demonstrate this rifle isn't loaded before I tell you about how much I like it (even though I've never shot it)" (tabletop "review" of gun that hasn't even been to the range)
or
2. "I'mma modify this perfectly good (non-functioning) magazine so it feeds good". 20 minutes of hacksaw and file work later "See them bullets loadin good now" (loads rifle in kitchen pointed at neightbor's house)
3. GunBoobers who flag the live camera man while shooting

I wish I was paid to rant

Last edited:
Didn't read all five pages in this post, but what annoys and confuses me the most are not misspelled words, or bad grammar, but those who don't use any periods or commas (punctuation). Paragraphs and posts that are just one sentence long can be really confusing and hard to read. My grammar is never perfect, but at least I always try to use punctuation to make it easier for folks to read.

Didn't read all five pages in this post, but what annoys and confuses me the most are not misspelled words, or bad grammar, but those who don't use any periods or commas (punctuation). Paragraphs and posts that are just one sentence long can be really confusing and hard to read. My grammar is never perfect, but at least I always try to use punctuation to make it easier for folks to read.
not everyone can appreciate joyce but its remarkable how he could get into the minds of people at thirty six must be all that greek he learned from the jesuits like texting on cell phones now nevertheless he would have shot a recherché caliber and might have dreamed of huffing as he held his breath

ID Mtn Man , It was a joke I saw a lot of them in S.E. Asia and some here in the states . We had one guy that it seemed like all he had to do was think about them and he would get them . Lice , plural , louse singular . often called nits so then if you are nit picking you are picking lice .

My apologies for my earlier deleted post. As a young man I watched the smartest man I ever knew get talked down to because he was not that interested in speaking other than how he was taught growing up. He was a math and engineering genius with nothing but an 8th grade education. Even his own kids, that he put through law school and seminary would take their jabs. It just rubs me the wrong way. That said, it doesn't make it acceptable for me to be rude or trollish and I regret having done it.

Quintus , I worked with an autistic guy at one time he was a genius with math and could remember where every thing was in the warehouse ( thousands of items ) . I got along well with him and stopped others from bullying him . When he was a child his parents kept him locked in a closet most of the time . I do enjoy having fun with others and don't mean to cause hurt to them . As long as you don't intend to harm others and you both can smile or laugh you did no bad .

My apologies for my earlier deleted post. As a young man I watched the smartest man I ever knew get talked down to because he was not that interested in speaking other than how he was taught growing up. He was a math and engineering genius with nothing but an 8th grade education. Even his own kids, that he put through law school and seminary would take their jabs. It just rubs me the wrong way. That said, it doesn't make it acceptable for me to be rude or trollish and I regret having done it.

You Sir is a better man than most and I commend you for your action. IMHO, this is the best post because you turned into a lesson that most of us if not all can learn from. No one is perfect and we are never too old to learn.

Last edited:
It is good know that on sites with Predictive Text, Creedmoor comes out correctly. Creedmor or Creedmore misses the mark. Just think what the inventors at Creedmoor Sports think when they see misspellings,
PS FEENIX, How often do you see misuse of the subjunctive mood with "to be" or "were" verbs with singular nouns?

It was never my intention to go any deeper than how I started it. In your case, it would simply be ...

"creedmoor" vs. "creedmor" vs "creedmore"

If anyone is looking for the smartest in all categories he wont find him/her here. But if he reads all the post, he will find knowledge that he and others don't have in some areas. Common sense is one of those attributes that many people don't have in spite of their education because they weren't born with it. Everyone has some gift if they will look for it and use what they have, and don't worry about what they don,t have. :cool: :cool:

J E CUSTOM