Offseason cartridge decision

laker

Well it's the off season and I can't seem to make my mind up. I've got a great shooting 6.5-06 that I'll be using for deer and antelope and windy day coyotes, a 223 for my fur rifle. Only thing I'm missing now is a dedicated elk rifle. So since I can't seem to decide what I want to go with I figured I'd see if you guys can give me any ideas on what to build or buy. I'll be using it to shoot steel out to 900 yards all summer just like the 6.5-06 and when I'm elk hunting my ranges are from in your lap to as far as the eye can see. What do you guys think

Should probably change it to it will be targets at 900 but elk would be 500-600 at most

If it shoots a .308 bullet and has magnum in its name how could you go wrong. Just my thought

Well it's the off season and I can't seem to make my mind up. I've got a great shooting 6.5-06 that I'll be using for deer and antelope and windy day coyotes, a 223 for my fur rifle. Only thing I'm missing now is a dedicated elk rifle. So since I can't seem to decide what I want to go with I figured I'd see if you guys can give me any ideas on what to build or buy. I'll be using it to shoot steel out to 900 yards all summer just like the 6.5-06 and when I'm elk hunting my ranges are from in your lap to as far as the eye can see. What do you guys think
Any of the 300's from the wsm on up. I shoot a lot and I do mean a lot of 300wm and 300 Rum and like them both.

With your application though let me throwin a ringer, take a hard look at the .375 Ruger.

I have two of them now and to be honest I'd rather shoot my Custom Model 70 in .375 Ruger than just about any of the rest with perhaps the exception of my 7mm STW's.

I've killed boars over 500lbs with it running away and watched a 250gr bullet hit them just below the anus splitting the pelvis an put a half inch exit hole through the chest.

There isn't an animal on earth that can run more than a few feet after taking a round like that.

Surprisingly the recoil is entirely manageable even with 300gr bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.