Official Hammer bullets Terminal Performance (picture heavy)

Center punched a bull moose with a 402gr Hammer bullet fired from my Marlin 45/70.

Maine bull moose.jpg
Entrails.jpg

What is the barrel length

Had the opportunity to use a hammer on a bull elk over the weekend. Worked well!

Near side shoulder was broken up. I used the gutless method, so I didn't examine the organs. Found the bullet base embedded in the opposite hide.

Bull Elk
~440 yds, broadside
6.5 PRC
131 Hammer Hunter @ 3150 fps MV
~2532 fps impact velocity

View attachment 219201

View attachment 219202

The rifle is a (JM) Marlin 1895SBL with a standard 18.5" barrel. For those who are interested, it looks like the bullet petals made their own holes in the lung and the bullet shank exited the opposite side. My guide originally said "no way is that bullet going all the way through"! The butcher said otherwise. LOL

speedengineer - Nice bull & cool video, congrats. I shot one a few seasons ago with a 181 Hammer from my 30 Nosler. The bull dropped in 10 seconds and went still in another 10 sec.

Last edited:
The rifle is a (JM) Marlin 1895SBL with a standard 18.5" barrel. For those who are interested, it looks like the bullet petals made their own holes in the lung and the bullet shank exited the opposite side. My guide originally said "no way is that bullet going all the way through"! The butcher said otherwise. LOL

Nice bull & cool video, congrats. I shot one a few seasons ago with a 181 Hammer from my 30 Nosler. The bull dropped in 10 seconds and went still in another 10 sec.
I take it the guide was impressed with your 45-70? What vel did you get?

Not the best pictures but here's a 213 grain hammer hunter out of a 338 win mag on antelope doe. Can see a piece went through the heart that I'm holding. Above the heart is what was left of the lungs. Bottom picture is exit which took 4 ribs with it. Hopefully get to use them on an elk here in a few weeks.

View attachment 219301View attachment 219302
Good grief man! Did you shoot a hatchet at it!?

Had the opportunity to use a hammer on a bull elk over the weekend. Worked well!

Near side shoulder was broken up. I used the gutless method, so I didn't examine the organs. Found the bullet base embedded in the opposite hide.

Bull Elk
~440 yds, broadside
6.5 PRC
131 Hammer Hunter @ 3150 fps MV
~2532 fps impact velocity

View attachment 219201

View attachment 219202

Magnificent bull!

How much bloodshot meat damage on the near side shoulder that was busted?

Wyoming cow at 986 yards from a 300 RUM 227 grain HH from a 7 twist barrel, cow quartering a bit to me, entrance ~6" forward on opposite side.(see photo)
shothammer.jpg

On another note, after seeing crazy things happen with large, long for caliber bullets I am a firm believer that this is explained by marginal stability. Just because they punch a round hole in paper they will not perform on game if they don't have a high stability factor, hence my 7 twist barrel. Cody's .338 275 grain bullets at 2,113 fps should have gone thru 3 elk with the minimal expansion it had but only managed ~12", something to consider;