Off topic- Best hunting boots??

6x47lapua

I know this is a little off topic but I'm looking for opinions on hunting boots. I get cold easily so warmth is a major concern but I also need to be able to walk and cover some ground. I already have warm boots and walking boots. Is there one that offers both? I'm going on my first elk hunt and want to get a new pair. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Whatever fits you comfortably (most important) and what you can afford (almost as important).

I have Kennetrecks and Meindl's. I like them both. Bought the Meindl's first because I want to try on my boots prior to buying but took a chance on the Trecks and they fit too.

Everything is in the footbeds (IMO). I use Kennetreck footbeds and change them yearly.

Stay away from any boot that requires a break in period unless you break them in prior to your hunt.

A new pair of stiff boots will ruin your hunt, like right now.

I have worn danner pronghorns for the last 10+ years. They are light, comfortable, and usually go on sale for $99 once a year. I haven't tried a new pair in a while but mine are about ready to be replaced.

I have worn danner pronghorns for the last 10+ years. They are light, comfortable, and usually go on sale for $99 once a year. I haven't tried a new pair in a while but mine are about ready to be replaced.

I have Danner High Ground boots....very similar to the Pronghorns. I got mine with 400g of thinsulate and am very happy with them.

Stay away from any boot that requires a break in period unless you break them in prior to your hunt.

A new pair of stiff boots will ruin your hunt, like right now.

Words to live by. Kenetreks will eat you alive if you do not break them in properly. Take a close look at lowas. I have both and I have no reason to buy anything but lowas anymore.

Mine were great wherever there wasn't water (mid 2000's they chanced shortly after). I consider danners a decent beginner or weekend warrior boot. They break down very fast and ever since they started out sourcing they just aren't what they used to be. You can still get USA danners (not pronghorns) but my money is going elsewhere.

Mine were great wherever there wasn't water (mid 2000's they chanced shortly after). I consider danners a decent beginner or weekend warrior boot. They break down very fast and ever since they started out sourcing they just aren't what they used to be. You can still get USA danners (not pronghorns) but my money is going elsewhere.

Yeah we hunt in Nevada and stay pretty dry. The pair I have is through 2 seasons and should probably be replaced before it gets cold. When we don't draw tags we do a good amount of chukar hunting so the light boots are really nice.

If you don't require a tall boot the lowa renegades have treated me well for hunting and shed hunting. I have well over 100mi on mine and they were out of the box comfort.

KENETREK. First pair, had for 6 years, been all over the world. bought another pair and sent originals back to be rebuilt as I "walk funny"($170.00 with frt.) best I've ever owned.

If one particular boot was heads above everything else, there would not be a multitude of brands and styles.

What makes a good boot for one person might not make a good boot for another.

Like rifles. If everyone shot the same caliber and make there would only be that caliber and make available because everything else would collect dust on the shelf and eventually be phased out...

Same applies to boots.

I don't recommend anything. Go try some on, wear some and see. Why I have Meindl's and Kennetrecks. I like em both.

Just my personal observation, the Meindl's are put together a bit better but the 'trecks have a grippier (new word) sole.

Once you get above the 300 buck mark in boots, they are all good but personal preference will always win out... so long as your wallet can take the strain....

What ^ that guy said.

Fit is *everything* (once you're at a high-quality level that is).

I generally wear mountaineering boots b/c that's what/where I've most pushed my endurance. My cold weather boots are LaSportiva "Nepal Extremes" which are superb in every way. If it's really screaming cold outside I slip 'em into my Outdoor Research "Brooks Range" over-boots/gaiters. Then I'm gtg to temps way colder than i'll likely ever hunt in. I've never had a blister in them. Ever.

My general hunting/hiking boots are the Alpina "Peak" boots and fit absolutely terrific. They are heavy-duty and very supportive. Again, never had a blister in them. Ever. It's gotta be truly cold for me to not grab my Peaks and reach for my Nepal Extremes.

My light-weight boots are new to me - Oboz "Bridger MID", but fit beautifully and seem like great summer/fall-ish trail boots.

What I'm getting at is this: no matter the boot (presuming a true quality boot), fit is everything. Try on a pair at a brick-n-mortar backpacking/climbing store if possible. Most of the climbing geeks trash their boots regularly and become well-acquainted with "boot fitting".

Find the best fitting *quality* boots with the type of sock you will be wearing. Then wear 'em around your house, up and down (interior) stair-wells with a pack on. If they fit, you'll know it. If you get some hot spots, try different lacing methods and if that doesn't work RETURN THEM (just don't wear 'em outside).

Kennetrek's and Meindl's are well regarded in the hunting community and seem like excellent quality boots, but don't limit yourself to just those two choices because all your huntin' buddies wear 'em.

Try on some Asolo's, Alico's, LaSportiva's, Lowa's, Scarpa's, Zamberlan's, etc and see what's the best fit for *your* foot shape (not just length, but width, thickness, natural gait/flex position, etc).

I'm Very happy with my Meindl hikers, Whites wildland firefighter boots with a good quality wool sock (just as important as the boots IMO), and if it's stupid cold, I jump to the Muck Arctic Sport slip ons with a stiff orthodic insole. Never been cold or wet and I work construction through the winter in North Idaho! If you get the chance to go to a custom boot (Whites, Nicks, hawthorn etc...) you'll never look back but spend the time breaking them in... Like weeks.... My first customs I had to break my feet in to the boots. It was miserable for two weeks, then I got em wet and wore them til they were dry and they were my best friends. I even named them....(not really)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.