Oehler Chronagraph

ewallace

Where is a good place to get one of the Oehler Model 35 at a reasonable price and should I get the 2 screen version or the one with 3 screens? Or is there a better chronagraph I shuld look into that would cost about the same.

Crow Mag

You would certainly haver a hard time finding a chronagraph better then Oehler. You can deal direct with them and they are very nice to work with.

I have the 35P and like it very much.

I don't have their number in front of me but, will try and find it for you.

Later
DC

Darryl thank you for the phone # I gave Oehler a call sounds like I will be geting one. Do you think the model 35 proof-3 screen would be wourth the extra $$$?
Crow Mag

Crow Mag... the three screens, and the printer are the only way to go.

As to their service. I had a Model 33 that I got when they first came out. It stayed in the truck all year around... got pretty beat up... after 22 years, one winter I forgot to remove the "D" cells, and they leaked all over the insides and ruined it.

I sent it back and asked if it could be fixed, and (after 22 years) they sent me a brand NEW one!!!!!

Beat that guarentee.

CatShooter.

As far as I knew the proof screen is standard on the 35 and 35P. The printer is worth the extra for sure and the proof channel adds the extra ability to tell if something is wrong with one channel, spacing or damaged etc.

Just checked some 338 RUM loads for a friend last week, boy was he dissapointed in the velocity. On the other hand he was amazed at the 300WM loads he had. The Oehler doesn't lie.

Stay away from the Crony brand if your serious about accuracy because they are a shot in the dark.

I purchaced an Oehler 43 used from a friend a while back. It was missing a few small items I wasn't sure were sold seperatly. After calling Oehler I was pleasently surprised when everything I needed was on its way in less than two minutes of talking with the knowledgable gentlemen that helped me. WOW! Was I happy.

I have never heard anything bad about this company, not even once.

I suppose that a Chrony is better than nothing, but not by much. The problem is that because the Chrony folds open, the user really doesn't have a way to ensure that it is opened to exactly the same degree every time or that it is completely flat when it is opened for business. The result is that there is no way to ensure that the distance from the first photosensor to the second is identical from one use to another or that the distance is that assumed by the internal software that computes bullet speed. Generally, it's going to be shorter and hence will show higher velocities than actual.

Recently I bought the Oehler 35P and am very pleased. The first thing I found out was that my Chrony was misreading my handloads by 100 fps or so. So, my advice is to buy the 35P - it's accurate from day one and you'll like the convenience of the printer with its ability to compute common statistical data.

Hummmm....

The Oehler is a nice unit, and the PACT is a nice unit, and the Chrony looks a little "amatureish"...BUT...

When you can get the Chrony Gamma Master with all the goodies for $132 (less than half, or even one-third the price of the others) and when the readings are within 0.5% of all three units...

You gotta wonder...what is the best value?

I like the 3-screen idea of the Oehler, but not that much (plus carrying around a bar and a tripod gets a tad on the unhappy side).

All said and done, I like my Chronys...(as if you didn't already know that...)

smile.gif

Ricciardelli

Have you "used" or "owned" an Oehler 35-P to any extent.

I have owned all three that you mentioned and have found that, it's real hard to beat the performance of the Oehler.

The Chroney I had was terrible and no way would it be within .05% of the other two. Maybe 10% to 15% on a good day but, never better. Even after sending it back, the customer service was as bad as the unit.

Have friends who were so displeased with their Chroneys, they lowered the rifle and blew it to pieces. They said it gave them an excuse to buy an Oehler.

To each his own though.

Later
DC

I have owned Chrony, PACT and ProChrono...have shot over the Oehler.

I do not have a ballistics lab, my interest is a personal one...basically, how fast are my loads going. I am not worried about 1 fps, or 1 nanosecond of inflight time.

1/2 % accuracy is "good enough" for me, not 1/20 % as you stated.

I found the variation between the 4 different pieces had no more variation that the difference between shots over the same unit.

If you got the bucks, get the Oehler 35 with the 3 screens. If you are just doing it as a hobby, and want to save several hundred dollars, get the Chrony.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]

R
It wasn't 1/20th---it was 10% to 20% the chrony was off compared to the Oehler.

At 3000 FPS That's 300 FPS off at 10%. That's not good enough for even a person plinking 22 AMMO.

I have always tried to suggest to anyone getting into this sport as a LR hunter or competitive shooter, to buy the best they possibly can and if they can't afford it "right now", to wait a while and they will be able to.

I believe the best is worth waiting and saving for.
LR hunting and shooting is not a cheap sport in any stretch of the imagination. It's very expensive and one must be willing to get into the bank account many times. I certainly have over the years and it was tough to do at times.

It's unfortunant my friends and I had such poor results with the Chrony chronagraph.

If you like them however, that's all that counts.

I don't reccommend them as my original post (the second one) to the poster reflected.
It's just another opinion after owning one.

Everyone can make their own decision. My Oehler 35-P cost $275.00 and has been worth every penny.

Later
Darryl Cassel

If you plan on sorting cases by the velocity they produce, then forget the Crony because they are just too far off and too inconsistant.

My two Cronys were always reading different than each other on the same shots, alternating one being faster than the other all the time. They were so far off it was maddening to say the least.

I see no value in the inconsistant inaccurate data the Crony brand delivers. A reloading manual is more accurate at giving you an idea of velocity for a load if that is all you want. Within a 100fps or so a manual will do, the Crony won't. So why even spent the $100. on the Crony if thats all the accuracy needed? Besides that, what would an accuracy of twenty to fifty FPS be used for?

A Oehler is a accurate TEST instrument used for MANY reasons beyond just an idea of VE.

I had a 5" Taurus 454 spittin 310gr slugs at around 1650 to 1800fps, ya 5". And my Ruger 416wby with 400 grainers at 2550fps. That was over the Cronys.

When I got the Oehlers they say the 454 is ALWAYS at 1500-1520 and the 416wby ALWAYS at 2650 to 2675 fps.

I have the Oehler 43 and the 35P both and I won't sell or loan either of em.

Hey Ric, most hobbies aren't cheap, at least my wife tells me mine aren't. She points to my 1000 dollar remote control airplane hanging up there for one.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.