Odd shot groups

Rhunter2

Just bought a used Montana rifle company x2 in a 7 rem mag. The gun came with an ecw 20 moa base. I purchased a warne base but one of the bases sat on the gun a little cockeyed so I kept the ecw on it until warne sends my replacement. I had a nitrex 2 5-20 single mil dot scope sitting around that I put on it for load development. I shot three shots to foul the barrel and put me close to center of the target. The next two shots were pushing 1/2" and were about an inch high and to the left. However the next two shots were an exact replica of the first two but an inch lower. At this point I thought maybe the scope was taking some time to settle. Then the next two shots happened. The next shot was an inch high and to the left, right by my first group of two giving we a nice 3/4" group. The next shot (fired at the top right target) would have given me a half inch group if I would have aimed at the center target. However it would be with the lower group. I should apologize for the long post. So basically I have two very acceptable groups that are an inch apart???? I have a couple of higher end scopes that I could switch the scope out with and I plan on changing out the base. Bases/rings will both be warne. Shells are Hornady 162 eld and gun was shot from a sled. Barrel never got hot and was clean. Suggestions appreciated. Trying to post pic but haven't figured out how.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
If its a lead slead you are shooting from, throw it away.

Otherwise there are unlimited amount of variables here ,try different ammo or start reloading.
Do you know how many rounds were fired before you took ownership? The barrel might be toast if the previous owner shot like a hot rod. - have it bore scoped-.

What I'm seeing is horizontal dispersion. Assuming you weren't in a 10mph full value wind, that looks like shooter technique inconsistency. Cheek weld and trigger engagement and the sled isn't helping. Get it off the sled on and onto some bags and try again. Looks to me like you have a very accurate rifle and it's showing off some of your form errors.

I have had this happen to me check your crown for a ding. I got mine from the cleaning rod being pulled back to fast through the barrel. It caused my bullet to move all over the place

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.