Odd issue while loading today

Tactical45

While loading for my 270WSM today, I used the Nosler chart for the 130gr. Case length is correct, and my OAL is correct, but when seating the bullets, I am about .050 below from the ring where the crimp should be. In other words the brass stops about .050 below where it should be. I've never seen this before, and I know better than to just seat them to where the crimp line is. I do not want to increase the pressure by seating it further in. Any ideas? The only thing I can figure is that I did buy these bullets from a private seller, and they look very similar to some SST's that I have. The difference between the two are one has a ring, and one has a shorter ballistic tip. I'll post some pictures up later tonight. Thanks for looking...

The only concern would be if the bullet is touching the rifling at a COAL of .050" above the cannelure.
Seating deeper will LESSEN the pressure, as you get further AWAY from the rifling and the jump gets longer, the peak pressure reduces.
You have to seat the bullet WAY deep into the case before you increased pressure in any significant amount.
Do you check your touch with a split neck case?
Simple to do, cut 2 slits in the neck with a Dremel cut-off wheel, clean up the burrs, size it and place a bullet long and simply chamber it. It will tell you where TOUCH is, but remember this measurement will change with EVERY different bullet.

Cheers.

Different bullets may have their butts at different places due to length/tip shape of the ogive. If you are not using the exact Nosler bullet in the Nosler manual then where the cannulure is doesn't really matter. It would be better to load one long and see where it touches your lands. Then work back from there as long as you have enough shank in the neck. An example of this would be me loading 175g ABLR and 175g Fusion soft points. The ABLRs are way longer so the same OAL would yeild more pressure and more speed with identical charge wieghts.

As you can see, they both have the cannelure in place, and according to the charts from Nosler, I'm there. It looks like I am off by a couple thousandths, that is because I am not square to the surfaces.

In the picture with the different bullets, the two on the left are SST's, you will notice that the tip is longer. I looked at several of these to make sure it was not a fluke.

Once assembled, you can see just how far behind the cannelure I am. I am starting to believe that I was sold these by mistake for the Nosler Accubonds. I am not saying it was intentional, just not what I thought they were.

If I set these to the cannelure, will that make too much pressure in the case? I have about .050 to go. Now, the issue is, if I do that, I believe I will be too far from the lands.

What will the issue be if I leave them just as they are? As I said, I've never ran into this issue, been loading for 20 years... It may not even be a big deal, but I know what may be the result of loading a incorrect round and touching it off.

Attachments

• 20210612_192537.jpg
    20210612_192537.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 401
  • 20210612_192710.jpg
    20210612_192710.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 360
  • 20210612_192753.jpg
    20210612_192753.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 406
Look like completely different bullets to me...
Not only is the jacket longer on the two to the right...but looks like different boattail design also....
I'd say you have Hornadys and some red tip accubonds.....looking closer.. the taper forward of the cannelures looks different also.....
Definitely gonna have to watch seating depths......could get nasty very suddenly....

Looks like old Hornady SST compared to ELD to me, however I will not, and do not use Hornady bullets. My experience with them is zero, although I see them everywhere at my club.
The BC will also be quite different, so I would use the fatter ogive one's for fouling/plinking.

Cheers.

no problem whatsoever, and with plenty of bullet in the neck , no need to crimp

find chamber max , find magazine max , start low powder and work up .

also agree about the hornady bullets, they may be cheap but i have always had to try more hoping to get them to shoot , i have seriously only found 1 good load with hornady bullets (22-250). ive had the best luck with, nos reg accb , ttsx and berger targets ... however hornady does make a good bulk average accuracy choice

Last edited:
Sorry, can't help you there.
In all honesty, I have a 270Bee and the lightest bullet I find at that velocity to work without becoming a bomb are the 140g Accubonds. Currently using the 150g ABLR with H1000, getting close to 3350fps in my 28" barrel. It will go faster, but the accuracy is best at this level.
The other bullet I use, especially for NZ elk, are 150g Partitions, these are held to 3300fps cuz the front of them disappears if you push 'em faster. Also use them in NZ in Red deer and here in Down Under on Sambar deer.
Even the 130g Accubond is going to struggle at WSM velocities. It will also destroy more edible meat.
Anyway, take this how you will, but I have been shooting deer with the 270Bee for 3 decades now.

Cheers.