Ocular focus & shifting POI... any optics experts here?

Yes because I know how scopes work and how they're built. Simply stated, ^^^ that's not it. If you're able to elucidate some possible mechanism for this to happen without image distortion then please do.

If you're able to state that's not the problem on every scope ever manufactured, the good ones and bad ones, the defective and damaged ones, the ones with good lenses and the ones with flawed fishbowl lenses, then please elucidate that knowledge on every single scope ever manufactured and damaged during its lifetime of use. There's nothing about a properly constructed and functioning scope that should cause this. Yet the scope is suspect.

PS: Why didn't you use this same argument to dismiss the contention that cartridges fired at higher elevation generate higher chamber pressures and higher muzzle velocity? When it made even more sense? Did you ever run your field tests in the effort to document that all prior study and publication on the science of internal ballistics has mislead us for the past century?

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think it's anything to worry about provided you verify POA=POI at the local sighting range one you get to the area you'll hunt. Before every match I shoot we have a sight in period for this exact reason. These are all seasoned competitors and they all pull their rig up to the line and launch a few to make sure everything is on. I will routinely adjust my zero .25MOA or thereabouts from one match to another.

Pretty sure the OP will disagree with you. Otherwise he wouldn't have started his thread. He wants to know the POI isn't shifting, because it has been consistent prior to mounting the new scope. What are the odds something other than the scope is the issue, when the problem began at the same time the scope was mounted?

If my scope causes the need to re-zero from week to week, day to day, hour to hour, that scope is my worst enemy. A confidence killer.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think it's anything to worry about provided you verify POA=POI at the local sighting range one you get to the area you'll hunt. Before every match I shoot we have a sight in period for this exact reason. These are all seasoned competitors and they all pull their rig up to the line and launch a few to make sure everything is on. I will routinely adjust my zero .25MOA or thereabouts from one match to another.

A movement of 1/2 moa on zero is completely unacceptable for an optic for long range hunting, 1/4 moa won't get it either, we have not sighters and if your seeing zero changes your likely not getting through an entire group without a small shift in the scope, this is why so many are dropping the Nightforce Comp scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.