Occasional pierced primer with Lapua SP

Also, you might want to try Fed GM205M AR Match or CCI #41 NATO. The AR Match and NATO are a thicker/harder cup too.

You need to have the firing pin "Bushed". I've experienced this before and this will eliminate the issue. Have done it on a 6.5-47 Lapua and a Creedmoor and the problem is gone. Now I can load any primer I want and not worry about it.

Last edited:
I have a Howa 1500 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I recently took a LR class and needed to buy some brass in a hurry so I would not have to go home after day one and reload for day 2. Anyway, the only thing I could get at the time, and have it in time, was Lapua SP or Hornady. I went with the Lapua SP. Because these were virgin and I had never used Lapua brass before I reduced my load from my normal load with ADG and Hornady 147 eld-M. I don't have my book in front of me but I was getting ~2630 fps with the reduced load, so not a stiff load by any means. This rifle has never pierced a large primer, even when I was doing pressure tests and probably went way hotter than I should have, 3k, granted that was with Unicorn Dust so it was okay. Anyway, shooting the new Lapua brass with reduced loads I've gotten several pierced primers. I've used both CCI 400 and Winchester WSR and both have been pierced. The primers are not flattened at all. If I shoot one of my normal loads with the large primers, CCI 200, on the same range trip, no pierced primers. I've seen some others mention replacing the firing pin with a small pin but when I do a search for a small pin for a Howa, nothing comes up. Is that the avenue I need to research or is there something else going on? Do I just sell my once fired Lapua brass and buy more ADG?
I have just had the same thing happen in my Howa 1500 6.5 CM. I opened the bolt and removed the firing pin and cleaned it out. There was some debri in it and the problem is solved. Good luck

I have a Howa 1500 and have not had this problem. I did have the problem with a different rifle (IIRC, it was a Mauser in 6.5 Creedmoor) and solved it by making sure the primers were fully seated in the primer pocket. I've been happy with an RCBS table top priming tool to make sure the primers are fully seated -- problem solved.

I also use the CCI primers and Lapua SRP brass.

Last edited:
Get the firing pin hole bushed, and don't worry about changing your primer. Gre-Tan is one option (and a very good one); another option is to look over on AccurateShooter.com for a fellow that goes by 'Grimstod' - also does good, fast work, and a little cheaper than Gre-Tan.

I have a Howa 1500 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I recently took a LR class and needed to buy some brass in a hurry so I would not have to go home after day one and reload for day 2. Anyway, the only thing I could get at the time, and have it in time, was Lapua SP or Hornady. I went with the Lapua SP. Because these were virgin and I had never used Lapua brass before I reduced my load from my normal load with ADG and Hornady 147 eld-M. I don't have my book in front of me but I was getting ~2630 fps with the reduced load, so not a stiff load by any means. This rifle has never pierced a large primer, even when I was doing pressure tests and probably went way hotter than I should have, 3k, granted that was with Unicorn Dust so it was okay. Anyway, shooting the new Lapua brass with reduced loads I've gotten several pierced primers. I've used both CCI 400 and Winchester WSR and both have been pierced. The primers are not flattened at all. If I shoot one of my normal loads with the large primers, CCI 200, on the same range trip, no pierced primers. I've seen some others mention replacing the firing pin with a small pin but when I do a search for a small pin for a Howa, nothing comes up. Is that the avenue I need to research or is there something else going on? Do I just sell my once fired Lapua brass and buy more ADG?
I'd try Fed 210......my friends and I have several Howas 6.5 and haven't pierced any primers yet with 7 guns.... 41.5 gr H4350

I use CCI 450 MAG primers 47.6gn RL-26,
Lapua brass trimmed to 1.1912. I'm still playing with the length, normally it's 1.1910 but I'm experimenting with the length to see if it cuts down on carbon rings. ,,Sierra 142gn HPBT bullets seated at 2265. The average speed for this load is 2981fps
Out of my Howard 1500 26" 6.5CM, ZeroDelta brake. Per, my LabRadar..
I FOUND OUT QUICKLY, that I can not use the CCI 200 primers, they blow real easy In the
Creedmoor. Try to use a mag primer preferably CCi 450 mags. Or a mag primer of your choice. In large primer mags check out Federal, CCI, and Winchester. My go to is CCI. Good luck with this, just use a mag primer.

I do a lot of reading here, just trying to learn from the more experienced. Within the last week or so there was another thread on a very similar topic. The consensus on that thread seemed to be that the loads were under pressured and caused the primer to blow before the shoulder expanded and sealed the chamber...
search for pierced primers and you can probably find it. It was a recent thread.

The best solution is to send you're bolt to a gunsmith have the "firing pin/bolt face bushed". Many factory rifles have excessive space around the firing pin hole in the bolt face which allows for the the primer to flow back and pierce. Probably will never, or a slim chance you will ever see it happen with factory ammo. I have experienced this in the past with 2 rifles when using SR primers in my hand loaded ammo. Loads were not that hot and not over pressured. Since having them bushed I can use any primer and never have the issue, and I get a better read of what the load is actually doing with the selected primer/load.

The best solution is to send you're bolt to a gunsmith have the "firing pin/bolt face bushed". Many factory rifles have excessive space around the firing pin hole in the bolt face which allows for the the primer to flow back and pierce. Probably will never, or a slim chance you will ever see it happen with factory ammo. I have experienced this in the past with 2 rifles when using SR primers in my hand loaded ammo. Loads were not that hot and not over pressured. Since having them bushed I can use any primer and never have the issue, and I get a better read of what the load is actually doing with the selected primer/load.
As hard as it is to get primers today. That is the best solution as you stated, it keeps your options open.

I have an older AIAX that had the large firing pin. Had it bushed and turned down and that has solved the issue even with softer primers.

Thank you everyone for all the replies. I went out yesterday and shot 35 rounds loaded with the Lapua SRP, and only had one pierced and I don't think it even completely pierced but more of a really deep strike. That one was the only one fired that had a CCI 400 primer, the other 34 all had Winchester WSR primers. The Lapua cases are all 7% (3gr) under my normal load using ADG brass and running at ~2630 so not really even warm but not under pressure either.

I'm going to check with some local smiths about bushing/turning the firing pin. I don't really want to ship my bolt off for 6-8 weeks if I can avoid it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.