obtainable powder for 300WSM + 215s?

J3n

Having Mike @ HCA build me a Tikka 300WSM throated for the 215 bergers and now doing research on the powder to use. I'm still pretty new to reloading so looking for some help here.

It seems like H4831SC & RL26 are the leading favorites, but I can't find either in stock anywhere. I can find some H4831 though it's not clear to me if the standard cut would have fit issues in the WSM case vs the SC (short cut). Would standard H4831 be ok?

Any recommendations on other powder I can find in stock for the WSM + 215s? And Vihtavuori powders fit the bill (and in stock)?

Having Mike @ HCA build me a Tikka 300WSM throated for the 215 bergers and now doing research on the powder to use. I'm still pretty new to reloading so looking for some help here.

It seems like H4831SC & RL26 are the leading favorites, but I can't find either in stock anywhere. I can find some H4831 though it's not clear to me if the standard cut would have fit issues in the WSM case vs the SC (short cut). Would standard H4831 be ok?

Any recommendations on other powder I can find in stock for the WSM + 215s? And Vihtavuori powders fit the bill (and in stock)?
Ive got a buddy loading that bullet he is using hodgdon hybrid 100v shooting bugholes don't know about the velocity though might be worth looking at hodgdons web sight

Probably not a real answer to your question. I shoot the 215 bergers in my 300 wsm. I use H4831sc. Rifle shoots under 1/2 moa consistently. No signs of pressure. Got a good buy on some H4831. Loaded a few rounds up same as with the H4831sc. Pressure signs and didn't shoot worth beans as far as grouping. Didn't try to work up a load with it just stuck to the sc.

Probably not a real answer to your question. I shoot the 215 bergers in my 300 wsm. I use H4831sc. Rifle shoots under 1/2 moa consistently. No signs of pressure. Got a good buy on some H4831. Loaded a few rounds up same as with the H4831sc. Pressure signs and didn't shoot worth beans as far as grouping. Didn't try to work up a load with it just stuck to the sc.
Well, crud. Had done other reading and seeed H4831 should be pretty similar to SC, so I already ordered some. Fingers crossed it works, but still open to other powder recs.

Well, crud. Had done other reading and seeed H4831 should be pretty similar to SC, so I already ordered some. Fingers crossed it works, but still open to other powder recs.
just talked to my buddy he is running 60.6 of the hybrid 100v with a br2 primer and the 215 .005 off the lands he said 7 loads on brass with no failures yet 2807 fps

I use RL17 with the 208 Amax and 220 ELDX.
The 208s run at 2775 (loaded for short SAAMI throat) 24" barrel
The 220s run at 2750 (loaded for a long throat) 26" barrel

Have had good luck with H4831 but it was just slow.
Tried RL26 got good speed but accuracy was never there.

Last edited:
I'm working up 215s with 4831sc now. Seems the node is falling around 2810 in Norma brass. I was going to try the rl26 route until a br buddy just won a comp with 215s and 4831sc and talked me into trying it first.

I think I'll give the standard 4831 a shot first to see how it works. Rifle is still a ways out so I have time to find other powder. Will keep looking for the 4831 SC and may also pick up a pound of RL17 and hybrid 100v if I see some on a free hazmat sale.

I think I'll give the standard 4831 a shot first to see how it works. Rifle is still a ways out so I have time to find other powder. Will keep looking for the 4831 SC and may also pick up a pound of RL17 and hybrid 100v if I see some on a free hazmat sale.
check powder valley I think they are running one now

2AE41B8F-91D1-4F9C-A1C9-2A3DC61429A0.png

H1000 shouldn't be too hard to find in the next couple months but I had good luck with heavy bullets with 7828ssc as well. You might give RL 23 a try as well, it seems to be much easier to find than 26.

I have run both 4831 and 4832sc with 200-230gr Bergers, they are not exactly interchangable. My loads are always .2-.5gr apart to get into the same node with each powder. Regular 4831 works well, but it will be a slightly different charge than sc.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.