OAL to lands on 257 Roy W/115gr TSX?

mhiltz

Anybody got the OAL for a 115gr. Barnes TSX and a Weatherby manufactured rifle to the lands? I am just curious because I just bought a Rem 700 257WBY and I want to compare the free bore between the two. I came up with 3.580" on the Remington.

thanks

I would stay with book OALs on Weatherby cartridges. You try to kiss the lands and your bullet will probably not have enough case neck remaining to adequately hold it. Some folks believe that their freebore is part of the reason they get the speed that they do. It also helps lower pressure.

If you have a 700lss mountain rifle in 257 don't try but .050" extra, and if your not in cali the one I had like that would not group a barnes in 100 or 115 and on whitetails it was very common to track one a long ways with that bullet unless you spine em. My remington liked 100grn hornadys and nosler bts, also done well with 110 accubonds. Both the wby and the remingtons have .300"+ freebore and as stated its not safe to set them out that far.

Thanks for the replies. The Barnes aren't doing very good at all at any coal in this rifle either.

My point was not to seat to the lands, because as you all said the bullet just isn't long enough. I just wondered if the Weatherby's were similar.

thanks

I can't remember the exact number but all rifles chambered in weatherby caliber must have a pile of freebore to be saami spec if not they will be a lot more over pressure than weatherby loads them, obviously you reload so having a match chamber with .060"-.090" is great and still fast just can't shoot factory ammo and the throat length or not for weatherby ammo will be stamped or engraved on the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.