OAL guage, finding rifling, and marks on bullet

As I wrote, I have done various marking bullets with sharpies. I was not asking how to.

Can a gun be short, and do you find a difference with various calibers?

Doing 30-06 I sharpies bullet, and it made sense. Not so with 243. I suspect it is this rifle.

Need a good way to polish throat. That would help with marks on bullet. But doubt it would change the resistance felt when closing, or the depth I am coming up with.

Zerk you said This rifle always closed harder than you would think ,, I would seriously look into this is your action in a bind from over/ uneven tourqe of action screws? or do you have too long scope base screws contacting the bolt lugs? , look for marks on the bolt lugs from this ,if you can get it looked at by gunsmith and ask him about these things

I can double check, but I think I took the stock off. But I should review my notes and posts.

It just feels tight. Maybe just tight tolerance. But my other bolts just slide in. No effort to close. This is medium predator barrel. Stock is a little heavier too, so maybe that is it.

I am still using the package nikon scope, from factory. But that doesnt mean they mounted it good. But I don't think it is a metal scraping, as in screws. But I should check.

Not like it is binding, just feels tight. I realize this is a contradiction.

The bolt itself slides nice. In fact I took the display model. The box model the bolt was tight. I don't think it was that customers operated it. The bolt on the display model was jeweled, and box had a coating. Kinda irks me. But I guess compaines change stuff as they go.

I dunno, maybe some would say it locks tight.

The marks on factory ammo I find odd. The Hornady OAL gauge somewhat backed this up.

But I do wonder if it is way to produce accurate factory rifles. We load our rounds closer to rifling than factory ammo. Maybe they figured why not build it that way.

it could restrict volume for hand loading, but SAAMI pressure is what it is.

As I wrote, I have done various marking bullets with sharpies. I was not asking how to.

Can a gun be short, and do you find a difference with various calibers?

Doing 30-06 I sharpies bullet, and it made sense. Not so with 243. I suspect it is this rifle.

Need a good way to polish throat. That would help with marks on bullet. But doubt it would change the resistance felt when closing, or the depth I am coming up with.
It is normal for a bullet to get marks if it's engaging the lands of the rifling . They are always on the part of the ogive that is bore diameter .

It is normal for a bullet to get marks if it's engaging the lands of the rifling . They are always on the part of the ogive that is bore diameter .

I didnt realize short factpry ammo would. I never noticed this before. But maybe I never looked.

But the hornady OAL guage seem to imply a short throat too.

My 700 30-06, leaves no doubt it is quite a ways from factory ammo. Not sure if factor of older gun, caliber, or model.

Polish up the bullet with fine wire wool and then chamber and extract . If it is engaging the lands the marks will be all around the bullets ogive , one mark for each rifling land . The marks can be just a fine line if it's just touching .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.