OAL for a 6.5X284 HELP!

kc

I have finished cleaning (media blasting)my short action Remington I got from my neighbor, added a Badger bolt knob and its in a bag wraped in grease till my next build.

Now the question in need of an answer. I have a long acton Reminton 700 in my buds pawn shop, in two weeks if the customer don't start paying on the loan it will go up for sale, but Greg will get his hands on it for me and all I need to do is pay the loan and its mine.
what would you recomend the AOL should be if I were to shoot longer Bullets.
thank you.

O.A.L. will vary depending on what length your throat is. My 6.5-284 reamer has .220" free bore. This sets me right up for a 142 SMK or 140 Berger. The boat tail junction of the bullet sits at the neck / shoulder junction of the case. I've got about 750 rounds down the tube with mine and my C.O.A.L. is 3.170" right now with a 140 Berger seated at the lands. The throat has burned a little over 1/8" since it was first chambered, but I still have plenty of neck holding the bullet. The only way to now your true O.A.L. of ogive to base of case is to measure it. I've always got my 6.5-284's to shoot good either right at the lands or .005" off.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.