Oak stocked 300 win mag

Carsyn.22

This is my 300 win mag, I am just about done with making a better stock for it, @Ol' Red wanted to see pictures and this is close enough to done that I will go ahead and post it up.
The last picture is of the pieces of gunnage block that I salvaged from a shipment of rebar, and second to last is a half done picture.
The wood is oak, three pieces stacked on top of each other and glued then cut out and carved away whatever didn't look like a stock. It has steel pillars and skim bedding with JB weld. I am single feeding it so no mag well to speak of.
Yes I am actually using hex bolts for action screws, that's all I could find at my local bolt supply for 1/4" fine thread.
I stained this with a solution of what might be called ferric nitrate that I salvaged from work after descaling the pressure washer with nitric acid. I just threw in a piece of steel wool to ensure the acid was used up, filtered it and then I played with the concentrations on scraps until I saw something I liked. I finished with 4 coats of boiled linseed oil, one heavy soaker coat that I left on for an hour, followed by one coat each evening and rubbing it in with 320, 600, 800 wet dry sand paper and buffed with paper towel.
The trigger guard and front action screw washer are also salvaged from my scrap bin, they were worked into submission with a hand drill, side grinder, die grinder, and files, and yes the trigger guard started as a hunk of 3/4" plate. That was WAY TOO MUCH WORK!!!! I still have a few pits and marks from the die grinder to sand out and polish yet and those action screws might need to change yet we'll see. Other than that it's done.

It's not perfect but it's only my second gunstock and I'm happy with how it turned out.

I hope you like it! Feel free to ask if you have any questions!
Carsyn

Attachments

• IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1929.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1933.JPG
    IMG_1933.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1934.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1650.JPG
    IMG_1650.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
That is the first oak stock that I have seen. I have neither the patience nor the talent to do that. It looks like you started to do a high cheek and then went adjustable. Nice work Carsyn. Thank you for posting the pictures.

I left the cheek rest high so that I could shoot it before it was done. Yeah I guess my patience wasn't all there either!
That is the first oak stock that I have seen. I have neither the patience nor the talent to do that. It looks like you started to do a high cheek and then went adjustable. Nice work Carsyn. Thank you for posting the pictures.
It was a tad over 11lbs in that picture!
What's the weight of gun with that stock?
I didn't even attempt to fill them so they can still be felt, also there's a few crack in the knot towards the butt plate that might continue to ooze oil for a few days. I will keep buffing it daily for this week and that should do it I think.

Thanks for the compliments! I do have a fair bit of wood working experience but the metal parts were a bit more difficult for me.