Nz Tahr Hunt

petenz

I went for a walk this week to see if I could get a friend of mine his first Tahr, and also to get some meat for the freezer,

Hunting on public land, we walked in to the hut on Tuesday night - 4 1/2 hours from the car park and about 1800 vertical feet higher. About halfway into the walk I spotted a small mob of tahr crossing a scree slope a way up from the valley floor and got my mate into position for a shot, he dropped this nanny from 220 yards with my .243.

P8140001.jpg

We took the meat and continued in to the hut. Next morning we were up and about not long after dawn, spotted various small groups of tahr feeding around the valley. We decided to leave them, and climbed higher to have a look for a bull... none were seen except this one hanging below a helicopter which was a bit of a bummer

Picture004.jpg

mid afternoon we located a mob of 8 nannies feeding fairly low down in some tussocky scrub, got as close as we could, and set up for the shot, 548 yards, zero wind, the Sako .243 did the job

P8150004.jpg

With a fair bit of meat we decided that would do us, and walked back out in an un-expected rainstorm, which was not particularly pleasant

P8150005.jpg

Car park is out in the main valley in the distance

P8150002.jpg

Tahr country

I went for a walk this week to see if I could get a friend of mine his first Tahr, and also to get some meat for the freezer,

Hunting on public land, we walked in to the hut on Tuesday night - 4 1/2 hours from the car park and about 1800 vertical feet higher. About halfway into the walk I spotted a small mob of tahr crossing a scree slope a way up from the valley floor and got my mate into position for a shot, he dropped this nanny from 220 yards with my .243.

P8140001.jpg

We took the meat and continued in to the hut. Next morning we were up and about not long after dawn, spotted various small groups of tahr feeding around the valley. We decided to leave them, and climbed higher to have a look for a bull... none were seen except this one hanging below a helicopter which was a bit of a bummer

Picture004.jpg

mid afternoon we located a mob of 8 nannies feeding fairly low down in some tussocky scrub, got as close as we could, and set up for the shot, 548 yards, zero wind, the Sako .243 did the job

P8150004.jpg

With a fair bit of meat we decided that would do us, and walked back out in an un-expected rainstorm, which was not particularly pleasant

P8150005.jpg

Car park is out in the main valley in the distance

P8150002.jpg

Tahr country
thats a lovely part of the world ,the 243 is a fab little round shot a rabbit at 705 yards with my tikka

good looking country there
sounds like you had a good hunt, nice shooting also!!

I'll be headed your way next month for stag

nicely done! I've always wanted to get out to your neck of the woods, looks incredible. maybe one day :rolleyes:

Good trip Pete, the snow just before Easter obviuosly had all disappeared!
That is good shooting shooting at 548 yds with a 243!

I'm heading out myself in mid-May and then again over Queen's birthday.

Stu.

Yeh thats where i hunted over there . We were on private property in the Havelock arm of the Rangitata.
Absolutly mind blowingly beautiful place.

Also were they had the wooden fort of Rohan in the middle of the valley .

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.