NZ Himalayan Tahr Hunt

captacademy

I just got back from my Tahr hunt in New Zealand. I was using a rifle that Travis from RBros had just completed in his 7mm mag package. I was shooting 180 Bergers at 3056 fps. I have already listed the particulars on this rifle in a pervious post.

Needless to say, I was excited to test out the rifle on a game animal, so I took it on my Tahr hunt. It was up and down, pretty steep mountains down that way! About the 4th day into the hunt, we spotted about 8 Tahr worth looking at, so we closed the distance. These Tahr were feeding up a mountain almost at the top. I ranged them and it came back as about 555 yards, but with the steep incline, my Swaro RF bino's gave me a corrected range of 500 yards, so I dialed that into my elevation. It was almost dark and the Tahr was feeding away from me, so I shot him square in the rear, knowing the bullet would continue to travel through his body. I heard the impact and the Tahr ran about 20 yards and then went down. By that time, it was too dark to climb the mountain, so we waited until the next day. That next morning we went up the mountain, which took close to 1-1/2 because of how steep it was. The Tahr was just where he had gone down. Below are a few pictures of my hunt.

Attachments

• NZ 1.JPG
    NZ 1.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 127
  • NZ 2.JPG
    NZ 2.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 141
Nice job Ron! I will get the pics up on the website soon. Definitely steep country. Good breakin for the rifle though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.