NXS Owners- Read this !

This sounds wrong

All Zero stops actualy attach to the top turret and act as a spacer to stop the turret from going down. If you get on any scope and realy turn the turret hard they can break but winding the turret down onto a plastic shim inside the turret will place the same force on it as the factory Nightforce zero stops will. Also Nightforce also will like to sell you their Zero Stop so they will say dont use the shims but i am using them and when i wind back to zero i dont use a shifting spanner. What happenes when someone winds the turrets and bottoms them out this would also create the same issue. I would say that Simon your scope would more likley to have been damaged when the scope mount came loose and it was hammering the scope back and foreward. Also you were having issues before you inserted the Zero stops so i dont think they would hurt unless you realy tourqued them realy hard bottoming them out.

Cheers Bill
Australia

What.......

All Zero stops actually attach to the top turret and act as a spacer to stop the turret from going down. If you get on any scope and really turn the turret hard they can break but winding the turret down onto a plastic shim inside the turret will place the same force on it as the factory Night force zero stops will. Also Night force also will like to sell you their Zero Stop so they will say don't use the shims but i am using them and when i wind back to zero i don't use a shifting spanner. What happens when someone winds the turrets and bottoms them out this would also create the same issue. I would say that Simon your scope would more likely to have been damaged when the scope mount came loose and it was hammering the scope back and foreword. Also you were having issues before you inserted the Zero stops so i don't think they would hurt unless you really tourqued them really hard bottoming them out.

Cheers Bill
Australia

First off to all the guys who realized Putting these plastic shims in was a absolutely blatantly stupid idea...... I am with you.

First off Mr Bill, Lets go over how the NF Zero Stops work. I Felt after reading your post last night it was my personnel task to help you as you are completely lost and have NO KNOWLEDGE of this particular subject....

OK let begin.
Below you will see the top of a Night force Zero Stop. there is a lead screw and four set screws that can be seen. No spacers, no shims.

Step One: Go to the range Zero Your rifle with the caps off using a Flat head Screw driver to run your elevation up and down. Bill this would be the Brass looking Thing you have never seen in the center of this pic.
35amb9e.jpg

Step Two: Now that you have a good solid zero and feel you are good to go. Loosen the four set screws on the top of the turret and move the Disk to the bottom of the thread pitch. it should look like picture two.
25ssdnc.jpg

Notice how the two small tabs catch each other and there is no slipping or dead clicks or spongy feeling. See this is what i would want on a thousand dollar scope. There are no shims or washers or anything but metal on metal and a solid stopping point that will do it every time. And this way the turret lead screw is not having pressure on the threads that will cause dead clicks like Simon had said. I have toyed with this idea but well Any body who knows anything about Metal threads knows that they act like a pivot point and over time if you put pressure on them in a way they are not made for they will start to conform. And what is the metal we are talking about here Not Titanium nor Solid Steel in fact i think this is brass. And seeing how brass is not Known to be the least memory holding metal i would say shame upon the People who still argue this. But wait Just for MR. Bill here is a Picture of a Non Zero Stop Turret.
10xbyfb.jpg

Now i am no expert what so ever but well i do take this serious, i am military and do not have thousands of dollars to throw away on something i hope is the best available. i do a little homework on things before i drop the dime. So i hope this sheds some light on some questions some of you might have. Mr. Bill as a senior Member on a Long range Forum i would know what you are talking about before posting so you do not make your self look like... this.

Casey

Just one thing to remember, Shims bad, zero stops good. All else is to be forgotten...

Putting these plastic shims in was a absolutely blatantly stupid idea

Well Sparkie, it is not the first time in my life I have had an absolutely blatantly stupid idea.

Sometimes I have no idea and still manage to be absolutely blatantly stupid.

From what I can understand, the main problem this caused was when dialing down, the click values were way out. When dialing up the click values were out around .5 moa at 30 moa up ?

Unless I am wrong this would suggest that when you went to dial back to your zero, you may be getting a different starting point each time when starting out ? Does that sound right ??

If this was so you would certainly be up that famous brown ( s**t) creek without a paddle !

Have not been able yet to test it yet, but will let you all know the results shortly.

DUH

******GOOD NEWS!!!*****

Tested the edge yesterday and shot into 4 " at 1040 yards and the NXS tracked beautifully everywhere in between and back to zero. I am a happy man indeed !! Can you see my grin !

God help the deer DOWN UNDER !

Cheers NIGHTFORCE OPTICS !!

DUH

******GOOD NEWS!!!*****

Tested the edge yesterday and shot into 4 " at 1040 yards and the NXS tracked beautifully everywhere in between and back to zero. I am a happy man indeed !! Can you see my grin !

God help the deer DOWN UNDER !

Cheers NIGHTFORCE OPTICS !!

DUH

I can see it from here... Glad to see it working well for you. Nobody has better or faster service than Nightforce IMHO.

Last edited:
I sent a scope in that I had fallen on last Fall, to be checked over and had them add the "factory authorized" zero stop. It costs $200 to retrofit plus shipping.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.