NXS 50mm or 56mm???

shortpants

Does the 56mm objective offer a noticeable difference over the 50mm in the 5.5-22 NXS scopes?
Are there mounting issues with the 56mm?
What other +/- are there between these 2?
Thanks for your input guys!

I have the 50mm and my shooting buddy has the 56mm. We both prefer the 50mm. It mounts lower and to my eyes I can't really tell a difference in low light performance. He has serious cheek weld issues with that 56mm.

I have both and shoot both regularly. I have had both on my 300 win and now it wears a 56. The difference in mounting height is less than .125" and it does not create any cheek weld issues for me on the Mcmillan stock and a fixed high cheek piece. All this is with a 30 moa rail too. I have had them both on different rifles at the same time and never noticed a difference shooting them, but the 56 does supply a little more light. Is it needed to shoot to last legal light, no, not at all. In fact if it is getting that dark I will not be shooting that far anyway. The only negative I have come across is getting the scope into a scabbard. It is tight. If there are elk hunts with horses in your future, go 50. If you want that little bit of light, go 56. I can't say you will even notice a difference unless you have them both side by side for several comparisons.

Here is what NF says about the 56 over the 50.

"The ultimate long range riflescope. Its 56mm objective lens provides maximum clarity and resolution across the entire magnification range."

Hard to go wrong here with either.

Jeff

Last edited:
I should have explained that my buddy had cheek weld issues before mounting the 56mm, but that the 56mm worsened the problem to the point that he is gonna need an adj cheek.

I've got a 56mm obj on my Sako TRG with a set of nf ul low rings. Got another 56mm on a remington sendero with no issues using a nf ul low ring as well.

Go 56 if weight isn't an issue in my opinion.

The 1 ounce difference is not enough to concern me. I do carry my rifle in my Eberlestock pack scabbard so I'm a little worried how it will fit in there.

The 1 ounce difference is not enough to concern me. I do carry my rifle in my Eberlestock pack scabbard so I'm a little worried how it will fit in there.

No problem there. I carry mine with the 56 and the Harris bipod in a Eberelystock X1 and it fits fine. It is the rifle scabbards on a saddles that can be an issue.

Jeff

With my current rifle sporting a lupy 6.5-20x50 M1 turrets I find it a snug fit in the pack unless the pack doesn't have much in it. I can't remember the model of Eberlestock pack I have off hand but its a smaller one. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger Eberlestock though.

With my current rifle sporting a lupy 6.5-20x50 M1 turrets I find it a snug fit in the pack unless the pack doesn't have much in it. I can't remember the model of Eberlestock pack I have off hand but its a smaller one. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger Eberlestock though.

Just looked it up. I have the X1-A1.

I'll venture to guess that the "A" is for archery since it is advertised to carry a bow or rifle or both???

I'll also add it is not the objective that hangs up its the turrets and bipod that make it tight.

If you have cheek issues with a 56 a 50 wont cure it. Its 3mm diff.
Lightgathering? Either one you can shoot so far past legal time its a moot point.
Ive had a few of both and I buy on which one I can get a deal on etc. because otherwise there is no real difference. The 56 is a tad better at 2am shooting coyotes on a wheatfield but the 50 works for that also. Its a tossup unless you have a $200 set of rings that wont fit 56s.

I agree with the cheek weld comments. I have a thin face and I am a stock crawler so cheek weld is always an issue. It was more of an issue with shotguns and clay targets. With rifles I am always looking for the lowest mounts and smallest objective that will do the trick but I am now starting to consider looking into restocking or at least picking stocks for projects/builds that will eliminate this issue. Glad to see this thread I am thinking about a NXS.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.