NXS 2.5-10 or SHV 3-10

Tgunz64

Looking at these for my 30-06. Where I hunt lots of woods and maybe an occasional shot upwards of 400 yards. I've owned an NXS 5.5-22 before but never an shv. Is the NXS worth the extra $600?

I'm very happy with my SHV and if you shop around on sales they can be had at a very reasonable price. That being said, the glass isn't the greatest on my 4-14. At 10x it may not matter. I'd check both out in store and see if you can justify the extra expense.

I'm very happy with my SHV and if you shop around on sales they can be had at a very reasonable price. That being said, the glass isn't the greatest on my 4-14. At 10x it may not matter. I'd check both out in store and see if you can justify the extra expense.
Problem is I can't look at them in store. No one near me sells NF. 3 hour drive to the nearest dealer.

Glass wise I didn't think the SHV was lacking too much. I had the SHV first and then got the used NXS . What I really liked about the NXS over the SHV is the turrets and the parallax control.

Problem is I can't look at them in store. No one near me sells NF. 3 hour drive to the nearest dealer.
If you post your rough location you may be able to meet with someone to check theirs out. By me sportsman's and Cabela's stock them in store, but local gun stores usually don't.

If you post your rough location you may be able to meet with someone to check theirs out. By me sportsman's and Cabela's stock them in store, but local gun stores usually don't.
Same here. Cabelas and Scheels sell them. But either direction I go to look is almost 3 hours.

My first semi custom rifle came from MOA rifles with the nightforce shv 4.5-14 x 56 already mounted. My next one had an NXS on it. I felt that, at least for my eyes, the SHV was brighter and clearer. I sold the NXS to one of my shooting buddies and replaced it with the 4.5-14 x 50 F1 SHV. It's not quite as bright as the 56mm objective, but I still feel the glass is plenty good. The turrets are definitely more solid and robust on the NXS, but I have never had any issues with the turrets on either SHV. Both are very precise and adjustments are right where they should be. If I were considering spending the extra $$, I would consider the NX8 2.5-20. I recently put one of these on a 33 nosler and am very happy with it. You get the low end magnification for your thick woods hunting, yet maintain the ability to use it for long range to stretch out your potential on that '06.

Recent Posts