NX8 Nightforce reviews??

Great optic from a great company. Having gone hands on with one, I can share that up to about 26 power it is outstanding. Once you get above that power it begins to lose some clarity and ability - it is very hard for any manufacturer to cheat Rayleighs constant which says the human eye and scope can only process so much clarity given the surface area.

The human eye can only resolve 1 MOA at 100 yards. It is the limit of clarity. So to find the highest magnification possible for any scope you divide 114.3 by the highest power that the optic is usable. Example using an 80mm spotting scope - optimal mag is 42x:
114.3/80 = 1.43 min seconds. Then 60 seconds (1 MOA) / 1.43 = 42x

So if we take a 50mm objective and apply the same calculation we get = 26.2 power

I bought the 2-20 version to put on a 300 win mag. The first thing that I noticed when unboxing is how short the tube is between the turrets and the front bell. I personally don't think it will work real well on a long action. I have not mounted it. This is just an observation that I made. Planning on putting in on a 6.5 Prc now

I picked up a 4-32 SFP while waiting for my 300PRC to get built.
now that it is here, contemplating switching to FFP after doing too much reading 🤔😖

I have a 4-32 and it's great. I was skeptical on the eye box as well, but imo if your fundamentals are sound. You won't have a problem. I've shot mine from a few funky positions and have had any problems. Mine is F1. The reticle markings ARE to small to be useful below 6-8x, but the reticle is still useful as a "duplex" especially with the daylight bright illumination... ALSO IMO, you won't be using the reticle for hold overs under 6-8x. I'm not sure why you would need to, since I'd think most rifles this would be outfitted on should be able to shoot flat enough for a quick shot where you'd be below 6-8x. Any farther, where you'd need to hold over/off for wind etc, you'll spend more time figuring what hold you need than spinning the mag ring.

I find it very usable at both ends for hunting purposes. If I were target shooting only I may want the moart instead. On the lower end, I don't use low power so I may not be the best guy to say. It seems to me like you could get on an animal quickly. If I were still hunting in dark timber I'd turn on illumination.

I had a 4-32 f1 NX8 & just didn't care for an f1 scope on the higher or lower setting.
Couldn't make it work for me.
Picked up the 2.5-20 SFP & really like the scope. No issues with eye relief or parallax for me. Usable through out the power range. Good glass, good turrets, nice size & weight, precise tracking. Rugged, Reliable, optic.

Here, IMHO, is a good review on the NX8 4-32 x 50 F1 MOAR:

About ready to spring for one myself.
I'm looking for feedback on the NX8 as a LR hunting optic. I am considering purchasing one but I see allot of NX8s being resold, used. Are people not happy with them, any experienced user feedback on the NX8?
Mnovak73,

I personally have 2 4-32 F1 MOAR's. I only have about a year of time behind them. My experience with anything in the "higher than this" price point is limited. Ryan's review link further down in this thread is very good, and I agree with his "most important items" 110%. The only glass I have personally had that is better for clarity and low light was Swarovski.
You will not regret buying one IMHO.

Hope this helps.

PH

I'm looking for feedback on the NX8 as a LR hunting optic. I am considering purchasing one but I see allot of NX8s being resold, used. Are people not happy with them, any experienced user feedback on the NX8?
Said scope is a good scope overall but lots of competition are out there including their very own, ATCR line. The needs for a scope appropriate for the sports or activities dictates what people buy. I think it's not the quality of the scope that made people sell theirs but the changing needs and there are other scope that may cater that needs better than what they have.

I had an NX8. Great glass but nothing compared to the higher level glass on ATACRs and others such as Razors, S&Bs, etc. The NX8 is designed to be a cheaper market so that makes sense. My biggest issue was not the glass, it was the narrow eyebox behind the scope. Not alot of room for error and movement which can be a negative. I ended up selling it after 6 months for that reason mainly. The 4-32 is nice but 32 gets really dim in low light.

Do most of yall still like this scope? I have an atacr 5-25 on a heavy gun. But sm debating on swapping from a vx6hd on a lighter gun.

Recent Posts