NWT Dall Sheep and Moose hunt

MTsmith

My son (16 yrs old) and I are going on a hunting trip of a lifetime (hopefully) next September to the NWT for Dall Sheep and Moose.

I am looking for everyone's input and suggestions on spotting scopes, tripods and heads. I currently use a Swaro 20x-60x with a 65mm objective yet I'm wondering if the weight will be a bit much. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Also, I currently have short lighter tripods (Spartan is what I have) yet I think it likely that we may be in dense brush when moose hunting and may need to use a tall tripod to shoot off of. Any other suggestions? That being said, we both have arca style rails on our rifles and I'm wondering if there are suggestions for particular arca style heads?

Thank you for your thoughts and input.
MTSmith

My son (16 yrs old) and I are going on a hunting trip of a lifetime (hopefully) next September to the NWT for Dall Sheep and Moose.

I am looking for everyone's input and suggestions on spotting scopes, tripods and heads. I currently use a Swaro 20x-60x with a 65mm objective yet I'm wondering if the weight will be a bit much. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Also, I currently have short lighter tripods (Spartan is what I have) yet I think it likely that we may be in dense brush when moose hunting and may need to use a tall tripod to shoot off of. Any other suggestions? That being said, we both have arca style rails on our rifles and I'm wondering if there are suggestions for particular arca style heads?

Thank you for your thoughts and input.
MTSmith
Are you using a guide and are you both using the same gun

Spotting scope weight will be the least of your weight issues when your packing moose quarters!! I would take it because for sheep it's near a must, save weight on top end tripod.

Really depends on what your guide has. If he has a equal spotter no need to take 2, that's what your paying for, let him lug it around

I've hunted with Raven's Throat in the past -- top of the line outfitter. You will see some of the most beautiful country in the world. The guide will most likely carry a spotting scope but I would check beforehand. If so, there isn't any reason to pack one yourself unless you are so inclined. Extra, unnecessary weight on sheep hunts is not your friend....

Do they require a size on the moose?

Like 50"+ in width?

If so, bring something with a reticle that will allow you to judge the size.
First focal plane, heavy mil hashes
50" would be 13.89 mils at 100, half that at 200, one third of that at 300, one quarter that at 400 and so on.

It would give you a better idea of size before you go marching off into the unknown after something that was questionable to start.

Not perfect, but something to consider, anyway, as, even if they don't have a size requirement, you may have an idea that you want a certain size, so it can still help in that situation as well.

I hunted with Raven's Throat last year. Your spotting scope will be adequate and not too much weight. The sheep portion of your hunt will not be too physical to pack that scope. You are dropped off and will have a base camp and be day hunting from there. As for the moose hunting it is always a good idea to be able to shoot from a standing position but they hunt them in the rut so chances are the shot won't be far. Lots of CF tripods on the market that will work for standing in the 2.5-4lb range. A cheap but effective option would be some of the Slik models offered. You will have an absolute blast w Raven's Throat. I have hunted all over Canada for moose and sheep and Raven's Throat is by far the best ran outfit I have been around. Let me know if you have a travel questions or any questions about the hunt. I'll be back to Raven's in 2026