NW Texas Aoudad

Buffalobwana

It had been 16 years since I hunted Aoudad on my ranch, so I decided last year that I was due one.

Since I own the ranch, I decided I was going to be picky and take as many days/months as it took to get a good one. I got a 33" sheep in '06, so, I wanted a bigger one.

Day 1, confirm zero on the 6.5 Grendel. Not my first choice of calibers, but the 7 mag didn't have a scope and I wasn't happy with the groups I was getting. 06 didn't have a can, and I had other excuses for the rest of my guns.

After shooting, I drove the Polaris about 400 yards to start glassing. Saw some ewes as soon as I stopped. Pulled out the spotting scope and after 10 minutes or so, a ram stood up.

Yep. This one will do! They were 600+ yards out, but on the edge of a cliff, and I knew I could get closer.

Circled back to keep hidden and stalked to about 250 yards. I see a ram bail off the cliff. I got in position, but it wasn't my sheep. Nice mature sheep, but not the one I was after.

Stalked to the edge of the cliff and saw the band of ewes walking below me at 100 yards. The ram had me busted. He saw me and the clock was ticking.

Threw down the pack and put one just below his chin and he folded on the spot.

34" on his long horn.

I feel robbed of the struggle to find a big sheep. This one was too easy.

Attachments

• 07F10CB5-8E24-4590-9E39-D9F9DEBA55AE.jpeg
    07F10CB5-8E24-4590-9E39-D9F9DEBA55AE.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 351
Too much of life is hard.

Owning and maintaining your own place is an accomplishment. When you're presented with 'easy,' take it.

Means you've already put in the effort. 👍🏼
Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Why else would I wait 16 years to hunt another Aoudad???

Plus, I have guided enough guys to big sheep and put in long miserable days. You are right. I deserve "easy".

Awesome ram! And like mentioned before.... nothing wrong with a good guy catching an "easy" break!!

I had one on camera back in July coming off the west side of the Waggoner. He was visiting one of our feeders at 11am for almost 3 weeks. Lone ram which I thought was strange. Judging from your pic mine was about 28". Sadly it was 110° almost every day in July and work didn't afford me time to get away before he moved out.

darn well done (DWD)....

what bullet did you use?
Hornady factory 123 gr SST. Even though it's not "supposed" to be a great bullet, it has worked great on everything I have shot with it. 4 Pronghorn, 10 pigs (+/-) an Aoudad ewe (nephew shot it) and this Aoudad.

It had been 16 years since I hunted Aoudad on my ranch, so I decided last year that I was due one.

Since I own the ranch, I decided I was going to be picky and take as many days/months as it took to get a good one. I got a 33" sheep in '06, so, I wanted a bigger one.

Day 1, confirm zero on the 6.5 Grendel. Not my first choice of calibers, but the 7 mag didn't have a scope and I wasn't happy with the groups I was getting. 06 didn't have a can, and I had other excuses for the rest of my guns.

After shooting, I drove the Polaris about 400 yards to start glassing. Saw some ewes as soon as I stopped. Pulled out the spotting scope and after 10 minutes or so, a ram stood up.

Yep. This one will do! They were 600+ yards out, but on the edge of a cliff, and I knew I could get closer.

Circled back to keep hidden and stalked to about 250 yards. I see a ram bail off the cliff. I got in position, but it wasn't my sheep. Nice mature sheep, but not the one I was after.

Stalked to the edge of the cliff and saw the band of ewes walking below me at 100 yards. The ram had me busted. He saw me and the clock was ticking.

34" on his long horn.

Big hawg, big buck…and now big sheep. Niiiiiice

It seems many times when we are contantly around our game we really don't appreciate what we have available. Our ranch in Kansas has a lot of whitetail deer, and every few years I take one. Our sons who are in their forties, hunt every single year. The largest score was just over 200 points and now our grandson and granddaughters are hunting.
Its good you took the time to enjoy hunting your own ranch. Congratulations!

34" on his long horn.

Beautiful Ram. Congratulations!