NRA Announcement

I just got done watching the NRA announcement, what are your thoughts?
It made way too much sense, which means it'll only be ridiculed and largely ignored by the "lame stream media" and politicians who want the 'ban'. We'll continue to have those who need help, mentally, be free to roam at will for fear of violating their "civil rights" by insisting they get help and their mental health records will be kept from the NICS because of "privacy concerns". We'll get a "knee jerk" reaction from Washington,,,, those are the only solutions the have! Video games will continue as they have for fear of "violating" the makers "free speech" and prosecutions for fireams violations that are already on the 'books' will continue as they have in the past. It don't look good for the "home team"! Will the Republican controlled House of Representitves stand up for the Second Amendment? Only time will tell! If there was ever a time to send an e-mail or letter or make a phone call to your Senators and Representitives, now is the time! I may not agree with everything the NRA does, but, who among us agrees with another 100% of the time? If you're not a member,, become one, if you are, make a donation. They are the 'loadest' voice we have. If they get one 'class' of firearms the "long range sniper rifle" might be next! I shouldn't have to have a "need" to own an AR 15 with a couple of 20rd. magazines, if I so choose.

It made way too much sense, which means it'll only be ridiculed and largely ignored by the "lame stream media" and politicians who want the 'ban'. We'll continue to have those who need help, mentally, be free to roam at will for fear of violating their "civil rights" by insisting they get help and their mental health records will be kept from the NICS because of "privacy concerns". We'll get a "knee jerk" reaction from Washington,,,, those are the only solutions the have! Video games will continue as they have for fear of "violating" the makers "free speech" and prosecutions for fireams violations that are already on the 'books' will continue as they have in the past. It don't look good for the "home team"! Will the Republican controlled House of Representitves stand up for the Second Amendment? Only time will tell! If there was ever a time to send an e-mail or letter or make a phone call to your Senators and Representitives, now is the time! I may not agree with everything the NRA does, but, who among us agrees with another 100% of the time? If you're not a member,, become one, if you are, make a donation. They are the 'loadest' voice we have. If they get one 'class' of firearms the "long range sniper rifle" might be next! I shouldn't have to have a "need" to own an AR 15 with a couple of 20rd. magazines, if I so choose.

Perfectly said! Nothing to add to that. Just don't sit on you hands this time folks.

Put a police officer in every school. Brilliant! AND we can do that RIGHT NOW!

To see the video of the press conference, go to nra.org and click on 'featured videos'

Personally, as a ex-teacher.. Pretty weak... Times have changed, attitudes have changed.... As a gun-owner, I am willing to give a little in terms of licensing or background checks if it means I can keep the firearms I want

It is nice to say... Lets get guards... but how does the NRA propose we pay for this?

Put a police officer in every school. Brilliant! AND we can do that RIGHT NOW!

To see the video of the press conference, go to nra.org and click on 'featured videos'

I agree. We do need to DO SOMETHING NOW. But in reality, we must wait for a bunch of politicians to come back from their holidays...

I feel, in the end, we will have to give a little more though. Thinks like more in-depth background checks and more restricted licensing. Things that in the end we know won't accomplish squat.

Thing that gets me is, this was a direct response from the NRA with a plausible solution that we could get started on immediately, and the media and guns control folks just seemed to blow it away. I though that was just plain stupid.

Personally, as a ex-teacher.. Pretty weak... Times have changed, attitudes have changed.... As a gun-owner, I am willing to give a little in terms of licensing or background checks if it means I can keep the firearms I want

It is nice to say... Lets get guards... but how does the NRA propose we pay for this?

Make it part of Obamacare. It's for the health of our kids.:D

Thought the NRA presentation was good. Especially appreciated the "A bad guy with a gun can only be stopped by a good guy with a gun."

Armed law enforcement officers are the accepted norm in all other aspects of violent crime control in this country. Seems logical and plausible. How do we pay for it? That's the question? Or is the question, what's the better alternative to minimizing the slaughter of innocents in our schools, that will cost less?

I've always felt that violent, kill as many as you can, computer games had no redeeming value in any society, other than to the folks that make money selling them. Banning violent video games - now there's a sensible compromise on the freedom of speech.

Easily paid for. Stop giving other countries billions of our tax dollars.
You mean, "stop giving other countries money we borrowed from China",, don't you?
Our tax the crap out of the video games. There are plenty of police officers who "moonlight" a part time job for added income. Or, retired police officers who'd like a part time , responsible job..... There are some other things that can be done, like a differently designed door, to help. Security is not a hopeless situation. The politics of firearms seems like it is, sometimes. And, unfortunately, it all begins with ignorance about firearms or greed for more power or both. Just take a look at Chuck or Nancy, they both know they're smarter than you are, just by the look on their faces. With attitudes like many in Washington have, it is surprising I can set my alarm clock so I get up for work at the right time without governments' help! They "mess" with things they shouldn't and ignore the things they should. How do people like that get elected? One word,,, apathy,,, by those who are the 'governed'. Now, or any time, is not the time for "apathy"! Let your voice be heard. Join your state NRA affiliated organization, too. I know,,, dollars are tight, especially this time of year. But, we all need to do what we can. Even the "add a buck" program helps when you order some shooting supplies. And encourage others who are gun owners but not members to join a pro-gun organization. Sending some e-mails to your elected will only take a bit of your time, and you already have a computer. Ignoring this won't make it go away. I still shouldn't have to demonstrate a "need" if I choose to own a AR and a couple of 20rd. magazines.

Last edited:
I thought they handled it with class, and have from the get go. I liked his message, but also believe the only people that heard what he has to say, were those that listened.

How about the thousands of service members that are back home, but are having difficulty finding meaningful employment filling the roles at our schools?

I am not playing devils advocate or even trying to encourage gun restrictions but....

Ok... So we put more officers in schools. What about Malls, Movie, Theaters, Rallies.. etc...

I work in healthcare and for me it isn't an issue of gun it is an issue of WACKO"s...

I really feel like the NRA and we are going to give a little. Let's face it, we are outnumbered. We need to offer some sort of solid solution or we risk being outcast and outvoted on shear numbers. Look at the national response by everybody to the news conference... Not good

J

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.