NP3 Plus Plating Thickness

Edd

I am wanting to have a rifle plated with NP3 Plus and am concerned about my bolt being too tight after it is plated. I am considering making the diameter of my bolt about .0015"-.002" smaller before I send it to them. Does anyone have experience with this stuff?

I am wanting to have a rifle plated with NP3 Plus and am concerned about my bolt being too tight after it is plated. I am considering making the diameter of my bolt about .0015"-.002" smaller before I send it to them. Does anyone have experience with this stuff?

you can plate NP3 as thin as .000050", and of course much thicker. NP3 is not as hard as electrolysis nickel. Goes on pretty much finished. I've seen several AR15 actions plated with it, and then just assembled. NP3 goes on very, very uniform. Done right, it's finished.

Most all parts I've plated with NP3, were slightly undersize, and didn't need to be hard. I usually went with a couple thousandths, but have done the one tenth and fifty millionths a few times. Personally I like electrolysis nickel better as it's harder and less porous. But you have to grind it to size. I would figure out how much clearance you already have in the bolt. If you have three or four thousandths, I would just put five tenths on it and be done with it. Or you could go another route, and TIn coat it with a couple tenths. Never worry about rust, and hard as all get out. Plus it goes on very uniform.
gary

What is the best way to reduce the diameter of a bolt about .0015"? I've called one reamer mfg and asked if they had a way to grind it. They wouldn't do it.

I don't have any experience with the NP3 Plus, but have used the standard NP3 on several bolts. Actions have been factory Rem, Surgeons, and a Defiance. Never had a clearance problem with having the coating applied on these bolts. I'd suggest a cal to Robar and inquire about your specific action.

Geb

I have a BAT action. BAT says the bolt clearance is .0025". The best I can measure, that is what it has. I've called Robar and asked about it. The answer I got from the person I talked to was not one that satisfied my concern.

What is the best way to reduce the diameter of a bolt about .0015"? I've called one reamer mfg and asked if they had a way to grind it. They wouldn't do it.

it's not as hard as you'd think. I watched a buddy do it the first time on a Browne & Sharp #13. Then had the thing hard chromed and reground it oversize (Remington bolt on a 788). Grinding .0015" isn't all that hard if your very familure with the machine your using
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.