Now this is exciting for Colorado guys

dodgefreak8

CVA listened and is releasing their paramount pro in a Colorado compliant version with open sights and in 50 cal. They're also rumored to be releasing a powerbelt elr in 50cal with a BC of .300. I'll be grabbing one of these to compliment my TC omega. Should be a great 250 yard hunting rifle with open sights.

CVA has been listening.
However they like to inflate their bullet's BC, such as they did with the Paramount and the ELR and it was backed way down.
There are other excellent bullets available to shoot without sabots.

CVA has been listening.
However they like to inflate their bullet's BC, such as they did with the Paramount and the ELR and it was backed way down.
There are other excellent bullets available to shoot without sabots.
What bullets exactly because I can't seem to find any that are full bore with a decent BC. And if I do they're a custom bullet that is spotty on availability.

What bullets exactly because I can't seem to find any that are full bore with a decent BC. And if I do they're a custom bullet that is spotty on availability.

The bullets made by Fury are well built, very accurate and at much less cost. You won't find a bullet maker that is concerned as much about customer service.
You can get a sample pack to test which size fits your bore to YOUR bore's specs, or do the best thing, which is to buy and adjustable sizing die.
I've shot them for a couple years now myself, from both 50cal rifle and also from custom 45cal rifles.
I'd really take a close look at the 50cal Star Tip2MZ. I've used the 50cal Star Tip MZ, a little cheaper, and it will put the hammer on a 3.5yo mid-west whitetail. Legs buckle and down like it was in its bed.

I'll keep my sidelock. Especially with blackhorn209 being $50 per 10oz at cabelas and basspro lol.

Oh my! Why look at the highest retail stores going? Why not pick it up after the season on sale? Check out the original price at Wal-Mart on these jugs. If you purchase anything from Cabela's or BassPro, you're paying top retail. I haven't bought anything from either Cabela's or BassPro in years its so expensive.

If you shoot more than just a few rounds each year, buy it in the 5# jug, where with even using a maximum charge one gets 416 rounds. It can be found for $225 for 5#. Sealed and stored properly, it has an indefinite shelf life.

BH209 on sale.jpg

BH209 on sale 2.jpg

CVA listened and is releasing their paramount pro in a Colorado compliant version with open sights and in 50 cal. They're also rumored to be releasing a powerbelt elr in 50cal with a BC of .300. I'll be grabbing one of these to compliment my TC omega. Should be a great 250 yard hunting rifle with open sights.
Very few people can hit vitals on a deer with open sights at 250 yards--- I am definately not one of them.
I dont need a high dollar ml to hit animals at my open sight effective distance.

Very few people can hit vitals on a deer with open sights at 250 yards--- I am definately not one of them.
I dont need a high dollar ml to hit animals at my open sight effective distance.
I must be one of those very few people.. and our effective ranges are are different. That being said the reason most people struggle with open sight accuracy is bad sights. And inaccurate firearms. Most muzzleloaders aren't accurate enough to shoot beyond 150 yards consistently.

I really don't think the BC on a flying brick of a bullet matters that much with a ML for the distances that you are trying to shoot such as 200-250 yards. Heck, the old Hornady Great Plains bullet is still a pretty good long range conical to consider. It shoots pretty darn good out of my Encore out to 200 yards and seen it shoot out of other ML's just as nice. Consistent longer range (200 yards+) shooting with a ML is more on the consistent load approach down to the minute details of the load. ML's are really no different than a shotgun slug load when you look at what "wad pressure" and "roll crimp" pressure has on the load for ES and SD for a slug. There are a lot of variables in a ML load to overcome to establish a consistent load. Ramrod pressure, for one example, is absolutely critical in establishing a consistent load and most folks overlook this aspect. Most ML's today will shoot pretty good if care and time is used to develop a load.
Everything from:
  1. Primer - different primers = different results
  2. Powder - versus pellets - 777, 2F vs 3F, BH209 etc.
  3. Powder - weigh vs volume
  4. Bullet as sabot or "full bore size"
  5. Ramrod pressure
  6. Barrel condition - cleanliness - how many patches to maintain consistent bore condition
Fiber optic sights or even old style peep sights with front globe etc can be really effective for longer range shooting as well. If you shoot only a couple shots a year to "sight in" it is pretty hard to establish a long range load that is consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.