Now that you've talked me into a 6.5x284

Varmint Hunter

Now that you\'ve talked me into a 6.5x284

I will be ordering a new barrel soon for the 6.5x284 which will go on a looong range varmint rifle. I intend to shoot 140A-Max, 142 Sierra and Berger VLD bullets.
I am a little confused about the best twist for these bullets. Originally considered an 8", than 8.5", some guys seem to get by with a 9" twist.
It would seem that the least twist that gets the bullets stabilized would be best.
What is everyones opinion on theoptimal twist for this rig?

VH

Re: Now that you\'ve talked me into a 6.5x284

i use 1-8 twist ,the reason being is that i have heard of stabilization problems in cold humid temps with 9tw. and 8.5tw. barrels,my current rig consistently shoots less than 1/4 moa with the 142mk so i think the 8tw. works just fine,my-2-dave

If it were a match gun, I'd say stick with the slightly tighter twist for the cold weather as mentioned above. For a varmint rig, pick whatever you like and have fun. The 284 isn't gonna shoot fast enough to blow up your bullets like a 300wby would so I doubt that that's gonna be a concern. Question is, what climate do you shoot in, and how often do you shoot 800+ yards in those conditions. That's where you're gonna see the difference, if you do.

The rifle will be used exclusively for longrange groundhog hunting in warm weather, with the exception of the usual bench time needed for load development.
A new toy for the new year.
Thanks for the input.
VH

You might also check with the barrel manufacturer and get their recommedation.

Lilja who I use on occassion has a barrel twist chart on his site.

Chart is about halfway down this page: Lilja twist chart

[ 12-28-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]

i agree with DCMI, you should just call the barrel maker of your choice and tell them what caliber and bullet weight you want to shoot and they will tell you what they recommend. they are the barrel experts.

i agree with DCMI, you should just call the barrel maker of your choice and tell them what caliber and bullet weight you want to shoot and they will tell you what they recommend. they are the barrel experts.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.