Now I know why snipers are young

Yes he can "read" and he can teach it as well. In the beginning I just could not see what he was "reading", but his coaching showed it to me. The method is surprisingly accurate. Its very much instinct and being able to relax and NOT try to intellectualize it. DONT over think it!!! Without it, you only know the wind at the firing position but by "reading the mirage" and a little intuitive averaging, it is possible to be consistent. We were shooting in a wind that was Zero to 15 mph gusting and about 6 to 7 mph on average. Sometimes I just shot it as read and sometimes if it gusted I would hold the shot until it returned to what I had set the scope to. I did not try to "hold off". I was consistent in my hits. The only misses I had were not windage, but were at the end of the day, Sunday, when the barrel "broke in" and I had two high shots with the windage spot on.. I dont consider them misses, just barrel mechanics.

Also Paul will teach you to read the terrain and apply that to the wind and predict what the various shapes will do to the the wind at different distances along the shot.

At the distance of 955 yds that we were shooting, wind is very much a factor.

Last edited:
Your guy, Paul probably was into NRA match shooting at one time with: wind flags, sighter shots (2), and pulled targets having markers to indicate where the last shot hit - performance aids. Many talented service rifle guys were on various service rifle teams. Compare the formal NRA competition vs. sniper activities having the requirement to adapt to unusual circumstances instead of an established range. This requires more shooting talent and in addition other related talents.

At one time I was into NRA Hi-Power and did relatively well but now I like to shoot rodents out there. I being a senior guy, not young, need to deal with agility/flexibility restrictions and can appreciate, "Now, I know why snipers are young"

Paul would likely decimate any rodent population and I would like to see him do it and would learn much.

I liked to clean my bore out before shooting at 600.

I found it, at first, disconcerting that I would fire the shot, then Paul, watching thru the spotting scope, would yell, "Hit!" and then a second or so later I hear the clang of the bullet hitting the plate. Light is much faster than sound, but it takes a few shots before you can wrap your head around it. Its a "cool" experience.

Here are a couple photos from the range. You'll notice all the fun "improvised position" stations on the palates in the foreground. One of my favorites, because it was tough, was a wobbly stump.

Attachments

• F398477A-A867-4CD5-B7B0-33816EC21827.jpeg
    F398477A-A867-4CD5-B7B0-33816EC21827.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 94
  • 125109E3-BFF0-47FD-83A8-59624E366554.jpeg
    125109E3-BFF0-47FD-83A8-59624E366554.jpeg
    1,020 KB · Views: 90
Even within Florida, some parts of FL are "a far away place". There's a running joke that says "The thing I like about Miami is that it's so close to America."
Yeah, I can relate. I live in Bozeman,Mt. We have a huge influx of people moving here, it seems like the large majority are from CA. the saying here now is - The nice thing about living in Bozeman is your only about 30 miles from Montana.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.