Novice Wildcat question

Andrew Massi

I'm a novice with wildcats and have so far only used existing cartridges that I could find dies for basically piggybacking on someone else's work. I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the 7mm rpm, whidden wants 3 pieces of fired brass to make dies. So my main question is how do I make the initial rounds to fire to get the fired brass?
I have some 7mm dies both remington and weatherby. Could I neck size the rpm in either of those? Would I need to order a rpm bushing die to seat?

I have three sets of whidden dies be very specific that you want small base die. they don't size enough normally for high pressure rounds usually only .002-.0025 at base and that is not enough if you run up the pressures you will get hard bolt lift and clickers. .0035-.004 would be better. most people that have used them for wildcats wont do it again

I'm a novice with wildcats and have so far only used existing cartridges that I could find dies for basically piggybacking on someone else's work. I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the 7mm rpm, whidden wants 3 pieces of fired brass to make dies. So my main question is how do I make the initial rounds to fire to get the fired brass?
I have some 7mm dies both remington and weatherby. Could I neck size the rpm in either of those? Would I need to order a rpm bushing die to seat?
Ill help you of you want to call🙂

Ill help you of you want to call🙂
Seriously take this offer. Rich seems to be able to develop a wildcat as well or better than million dollar cartridge development programs at major industry companies.

Rich also has worked with Whidden dies on his die sets.

Whidden dies seem good, but the aluminum in them is weird to me. I'm sure it is ok in the design.

Anyone have experience with whidden dies? Worth the cost and time?
I have several (4) Whidden FL Bushing Dies and 1 Neck Bushing Die with the neck bump click adjustment.
These Dies are the smoothest dies I have EVER used. The threads are smooth as glass and adjustments are very easy, especially with the click adjuster.
Not likely I would ever buy something else. They are FABULOUS .

Just make sure that the brass you send in has been well formed to your chamber (3-4 firings)

I have several (4) Whidden FL Bushing Dies and 1 Neck Bushing Die with the neck bump click adjustment.
These Dies are the smoothest dies I have EVER used. The threads are smooth as glass and adjustments are very easy, especially with the click adjuster.
Not likely I would ever buy something else. They are FABULOUS .

Just make sure that the brass you send in has been well formed to your chamber (3-4 firings)
Just a heads up, Whidden can not make Sherman dies unless they go through me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.