Novice displaced hunter could use your expertise.

PolishLeprechaun

Hello all. I would like your expert opinions. I am a displaced PA hunter (assignment abroad) and am starting buy some guns for hunting use and to hand down. I am kindof collecting guns and different calibers just for fun and if I like their look. Last year I purchased a Remington LSS in 300RUM and put a Nikon Monarch 4-12 on it mainly for the eye relief in the hopes of avoiding getting busted in the skull when I get the chance to shoot it. From what I read from you all it appears to be a good choice in rifle for big game and could be a long range shooter. What would you guys recommend for improving this gun, from your experience? How have you treated it if you have one? Is the scope OK? Do you have to bed a gun to be better? You guys are really a wealth of knowledge and I enjoy reading your posts. Thanks ro any help. -Mike

First off welcome to LRH!!

I would recommend shooting the rifle as to see how it shoots and then go from there. Some factory Rem 700 LSS rifles are scary accurate, some are not so much.

But before you put alot of money into the rifle, see what she does as is. Upgrades you can do range from simple proceedures like trigger jobs, lapping lugs if the headspace specs will allow it, recoil pad upgrades.

You can then step up to a bit more involved improvements like recutting the crown, pillar bedding the rifle, trigger upgrades and striker assembly upgrades.

Then at the extreme end of the improvements you would have rebarreling with a custom match grade barrel, receiver accurizing and muzzle brake installations.

These proceedures will run from $15 to +$1000 so its wise to determine just exactly what the rifle has to offer you before spending the money. You may get lucky and have one of the really good shooters that come from Rem.

I am not a huge fan of Nikon optics but I will say they are quality scopes. I just prefer leupolds or top end Weavers. It should serve you well though. Getting long eye relief is a good idea with the RUM in a rifle of that weight.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

First, Kirby is an expert, and one of the most helpful guys on the site.

I'm a do it myself kind of guy, and I'll tell you what I do. First, I play with the trigger. I've yet to buy a rifle with a nice trigger set off the shelf. Please educate yourself on how to do this safely, or have it done. Next I shoot the rifle, and see how it groups. I usually glass bed the action next (this really is cheap and simple). Then I work up a load. And that's as far as I've gone. Simply because, so far, I've been happy with the results. If this didn't do the trick, I would than seek the advice of Kirby or another smith.

Now, I am a novice, and have only done this a few times. In each case, I started with a factory rifle that would group near or under an inch. After the little work I did, they'll shoot under 1/2".

Personally, I'd put a brake on any magnum first.

Also, I happen to like Nikon. The monarch is an excellent scope. I hope you got the adjustable objective.

Welcome aboard! Kirby pretty much speaks the truth as far as it goes. I'm not the most knowlegable guy here but if your rifle came with the R3 recoil pad from remington you're probably set in that category. I'd look into finding a good round you'd like to shoot first (be it reloading a custom one or factory ammo which i don't really like). Once you have that settled I'd start shooting... The cost of ammo is a problem for many with these high magnum calibers so you may want to even look into reloading if you plan on shooting it a lot it'll end up being cheaper even if you do spend a good amount of money on reload tools up front. If you can take the blast of the 300 RUM and aren't afraid of it then you're ok, but most people find they want a brake on the bad boy. You'll never be as accurate if you're afraid of the kick and pull every shot but that's just my 2 cents! Your scope should be adequate even though like Kirby I prefer to use Leupolds on my rifles. I'd get some rounds down the barrel and decide how you're going to use the rifle then decide if you can withstand that kick if not I'd go for a brake first! I've been lucky so far and can withstand the 300 rum blast without a brake so far so I'm gonna stick without a brake for awhile!

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate your recommendations and would surely have someone do the work for me if required. After this assignment I plan to get into reloading if I can find someone to teach me or get a good book or two. As for the gun smithing, I will leave that to the professionals like plumbing and electrical work. It usually pays to do so. Who knows, maybe someday I will get to post a long shot on here with pride. For now I think you're all safe from any competition from me. Like Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations." Thanks again for the good advice. -Mike

Mike,

Getting set up for loading your own ammo will be the best decision you could make. Fine tuning a rifle with factory ammo can at times be frustrating to say the least.

Save up and get some good reloading equipment. Since your new to this you probably don;t know what that is yet. My advice to you is to ask your questions here and you will get the very best information you possibly can. There are guys on this site that have pretty much done it all several times over.

Ask your questions before you buy and it will save you alot of money down the road even if it costs a bit more to get set up.

I think you will find if you stick around LRH that competition is not a factor here. We are all friends here Most of the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. A lively debate will jump up form time to time but you will not see much in the way of competition here.

We all love to shoot, we all love to read about others success stories, weither its a kill at 400 yards or one at a mile, its all good reading, share your successes and more importantly what you feel are your failures.

We learn as much if not more by out seem to be failures then anything. Please feel free to post on your long range adventures. I think I can speak for most that we try to look at everyone as equals here and want to share in all your adventures.

Trust me, they will not all be successful but the more you practice the more often they will be.

Stick around, read alot and you will advance very quickly in this sport!!

Good Shooting!

Kirby Allen(50)

My father owns an LSS in 300 RUM. He scoped it with a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40mm Adj. Obj. with the BC reticle. he had the trigger worked on and has a break on it, I can tell you first hand that it is a very acurate gun. and with the break on it's rather mild to shoot (for an ultra mag...)

Thanks for the words guys. You seem like a good bunch of the type of guys that make me proud to be an American no matter where I am. I will keep reading and eventually get the opportunity to tap into your expertise more often. -Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.