Not wildly exiting- but please help! Recoil Slots Too Far Apart To Mount Scope

Brown Dog

Suggestions gratefully received!

Here's my seriously frustrating
mad.gif
problem:

My Sauer 202 has 2 piece Warne weaver bases epoxied to it (the rifle has a polymer finish rather than blue).

The positioning of the recoil slots mean that the distance between the rear edge of the rear mount and the front edge of the front mount is 5.44 inches (Badger mounts).

But...the scope I wish to mount only has 5.06 inches of mounting area.

Options I'm considering:

1. Buy Warne mounts; attach rear mount further forward, but without its recoil lug. -would this work in accuracy/maintenance of zero terms?

2. Cut extra recoil slot in rear base. -are the Warne bases too soft for this (because of their sintered manufacture)?

3. Find and buy a one piece 30mm mount that is 5 inches long, fits weaver bases and is around 0.88inches high (if such a thing exists?!)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

[ 07-14-2004: Message edited by: Brown Dog ]

If I understand your question (which I might not exactly) why cant you have the rings ground to be thinner. It aounds like you only need .040" removed to make the scope fit.

Surface grinding should be simple enough for any machine shop. Heck, take it to the nearest college that has a machining program and have them do it. It will be much cheaper than a regular "job shop" if they are in session during the summer.

I would go with option 2 as it will be stronger then option 1. I have never liked extended rings but they will also work.

The other option is to get a scope with a longer tube.

I guess trying to remove the bases would damage the finish? If not, replace one of the bases to fit.

Jerry

Brown Dog,

I have a pair of Warne's on my Sako which has no recoil lugs. They have kept zero fine since fitted in March. The rifle is a 243. I also have a pair of warnes on a BRNO 19mm dovetail that has no recoil lugs. That (6mm rem)has kept zero over 2years and day in day out hunting. The sling once came detached, the rifle falling 4' onto the ground - zero unaffected.

Great mounts.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.