Not the first time... 7mm Rem Mag - issues with ELD-X 175gr.

I have shot that bullet out of 7 customs and 3 factory rifles. In calibers ranging from 280 ackley to 28 Nosler. The 175 eldx could be the most inconsistent bullet on the planet. Factory guns struggle to shoot under an inch, and only two of the customs shot them under 1/2 inch. Even with the customs there is always a flyer. All of these ten guns will shoot Bergers, Sierra match kings, and Nosler accubonds sub-1/2 inch. If you weight sort a box of 100 eldx's you will usually have 7-9 different weights. Then if you measure ogive to base you'll get 5-6 more groups of bullets. I called Hornady on both the 175 eldx and the 180 eldm. Their tech said they were designed for 2800 fps. That being said they didn't shot well out of two 280 ackley's at 2850.
I shoot the 180 eldm out of my 280ai
2900fps and .13 inch group. They are awesome

If you are pulling 2690 with a 175 gr.... what's wrong with that? Very decent speed for 7mm 175. Not sure you can get much faster....stick with it. Sub MOA is Sub MOA. Enjoy the experience but I would highly recommend you don't get caught like I did...after getting the long range fever which has become so highly contagious...my shooting life has never been the same i.e. nothing is ever good enough. I'm sure you didn't pick your older Sako deliberately to shoot 1000 yrds. I would Mark down this load as a success and move to something a little lighter if you want faster and the new load might give you .5 or better. One last question... have you and this gun ever shot a .5 or better? It might be all this gun is capable of....just food for thought!
Mate of mine shoots 180s at 3000fps or if his 7rem. 2690 is slow

I'm shooting a 143ELD-X out of my 6.5 x 47L and they shoot lights out over 36.0 grains of Varget. I'm getting 2,740 fps. I'm very happy with the load.

If you are pulling 2690 with a 175 gr.... what's wrong with that? Very decent speed for 7mm 175. Not sure you can get much faster....stick with it. Sub MOA is Sub MOA. Enjoy the experience but I would highly recommend you don't get caught like I did...after getting the long range fever which has become so highly contagious...my shooting life has never been the same i.e. nothing is ever good enough. I'm sure you didn't pick your older Sako deliberately to shoot 1000 yrds. I would Mark down this load as a success and move to something a little lighter if you want faster and the new load might give you .5 or better. One last question... have you and this gun ever shot a .5 or better? It might be all this gun is capable of....just food for thought!

This speed would be fine in a 280 Remington, or here in Europe in 7x64mm Brenneke. But in 7mm Rem Mag it is just slow.
I only can agree with you - reloading and precision shooting changed my life 20 years ago. Since then I am unsatisfied with every cartridge. When I found right load, I move to the next challenge :)))
Sako is my long range hunting rifle. I have good access to longer shooting range, up to 1400 meters. I've shot with Sako successfully to 900 meters (approx. 980 yards). It means 3-shot groups under 0.5 MOA.

And yes, this rifle shoots easily good groups - Berger Hybrid 180gr. at 2920 fps showed at 300 meters 3-shot groups between 1"- 1.4". Repeatedly. I also have successfully hunted with this load. So the rifle surely has the potential.
I can calmly get back to Berger but you know - the ELD-X showed itself to be the next challenge :)))

Here is the best but slow load with 175gr. ELD-X at 300 meters. The orange sticker is 1".
Click for bigger photo.

And the rifle, actually topped with March FX 5-40x56.

Hi guys, hereby I'm asking for any help.
Here is the story: I shoot older Sako rifle, it has 24.5" long factory varmint barrel with 8.66" twist. Last two seasons I've shot Berger Hybrid 180gr. very successfully. But I love to try always something new and different. So I bought two boxes of Hornady ELD-X 175gr. Also have brand new Sako cases with measured capacity 87.7gr of water - little bit bigger then usual.

First attempt: bullet seated 0,02" off the lands, five loads with Norma MRP-2 from 68.0 up to 70.0gr., velocities between 2877-2985 fps. Accuracy - terrible. At 300 meters I got wild groups around 5 to 8 inches. Useless.

Second attempt: I was told to try bigger jump. So I prepared five loads with 0.39"-0.59"-0.79"-0.98"-0.118" jump. Loaded with reduced amount 66.5gr. of Norma MRP-2. Best 5-shot group at 300 meters measured roughly 4.5"-5". Again nothing world-shattering.

Third attempt: Tried more jump. Also a less jump, closer to the lands. So this time jumped 0.004"-0.008"-0.118"-0.138"-0.157". Loaded with 65.0 gr. of H1000 and with 66.0 gr. of Norma MRP-2. No luck again except one load.
Three shots at 300 meters, load of 65.0gr H1000 jumped 0.157" gave me unbelievable group of 0.90". Very happy with it but it's terribly slow, only around 2690 fps.

After this I tried faster loads with 0.157" jump. I've loaded again H1000, Retumbo and Reload Swiss RS62 (similar to Reloader 16). I got higher velocities but again nothing worked. Holes spreaded all over the target, no grouping.

So the question is - I never give up - where would you start again after all this? Any advice, criticism or idea is highly appreciated.

Thx.
My advice would be to cut your losses. I went through the same thing with the 162 gr ELD-X. Could you repeat the .9" group? I had some .75" groups one day and then 2.5" groups the next. If you want accuracy go back to the Bergers or move on to a different bullet.

This speed would be fine in a 280 Remington, or here in Europe in 7x64mm Brenneke. But in 7mm Rem Mag it is just slow.
I only can agree with you - reloading and precision shooting changed my life 20 years ago. Since then I am unsatisfied with every cartridge. When I found right load, I move to the next challenge :)))
Sako is my long range hunting rifle. I have good access to longer shooting range, up to 1400 meters. I've shot with Sako successfully to 900 meters (approx. 980 yards). It means 3-shot groups under 0.5 MOA.

And yes, this rifle shoots easily good groups - Berger Hybrid 180gr. at 2920 fps showed at 300 meters 3-shot groups between 1"- 1.4". Repeatedly. I also have successfully hunted with this load. So the rifle surely has the potential.
I can calmly get back to Berger but you know - the ELD-X showed itself to be the next challenge :)))

Here is the best but slow load with 175gr. ELD-X at 300 meters. The orange sticker is 1".
Click for bigger photo.

And the rifle, actually topped with March FX 5-40x56.

Thank you for the nice reply. Excellent scope choice. Sounds like you have everything you need......I believe we need to admit to ourselves sooner that the old saying is true....You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear! If a load isn't working it isn't working. I have used Hornady bullets for 40 years...the first 35 was all hunting and just the last 5 have been hunting combined with long range. In many ways it ruined the experience of Just point and shoot the game! Now just about nothing is good enough and even worse is when you found a load that works today and for whatever reason I can't shoot it 2 days later,.....that I'm chalking up to old age!

Here is the story: I shoot older Sako rifle, it has 24.5" long factory varmint barrel with 8.66" twist. Last two seasons I've shot Berger Hybrid 180gr. very successfully. But I love to try always something new and different. So I bought two boxes of Hornady ELD-X 175gr. Also have brand new Sako cases with measured capacity 87.7gr of water - little bit bigger then usual.

First attempt: bullet seated 0,02" off the lands, five loads with Norma MRP-2 from 68.0 up to 70.0gr., velocities between 2877-2985 fps. Accuracy - terrible. At 300 meters I got wild groups around 5 to 8 inches. Useless.

Second attempt: I was told to try bigger jump. So I prepared five loads with 0.39"-0.59"-0.79"-0.98"-0.118" jump. Loaded with reduced amount 66.5gr. of Norma MRP-2. Best 5-shot group at 300 meters measured roughly 4.5"-5". Again nothing world-shattering.

Third attempt: Tried more jump. Also a less jump, closer to the lands. So this time jumped 0.004"-0.008"-0.118"-0.138"-0.157". Loaded with 65.0 gr. of H1000 and with 66.0 gr. of Norma MRP-2. No luck again except one load.
Three shots at 300 meters, load of 65.0gr H1000 jumped 0.157" gave me unbelievable group of 0.90". Very happy with it but it's terribly slow, only around 2690 fps.

After this I tried faster loads with 0.157" jump. I've loaded again H1000, Retumbo and Reload Swiss RS62 (similar to Reloader 16). I got higher velocities but again nothing worked. Holes spreaded all over the target, no grouping.

So the question is - I never give up - where would you start again after all this? Any advice, criticism or idea is highly appreciated.

Thx.

You obviously have a chronograph so why not just do normal load work up in 1/2 grain increments. Your methodology is too erratic IMO. 68-70 grain window is not a wide enough window to work in. Start at 64 and go up in 1/2 grain increments logging your velocity. What you want to see is the velocity flatten out, meaning that there is minimal velocity increase between two charges. Once you find this flat spot load to the middle of it and then do seating depth testing. Its that simple. MRP2 is a good powder choice for this cartridge / bullet combo and will shoot very well if done right. 2900 fps should be where it shoots well.

Another thing to consider is your twist rate. 1-8.6 may be a little slow depending on your altitude. Run it in the Berger calculator and see.

I have never had an issue with any ELDX bullet not shooting well and to often the bullet is blamed when there are other things affecting the results.

I do understand, but look at it from my point of view. Am looking for a swift load for a Magnum cartridge with high BC heavy-for-caliber bullet. If I would start somewehere around 64.0gr MRP-2, it will produce velocity approx. 2650 fps. To achieve at least 2800 fps I've to load at least 68 gr. It will make no sense if I would hit some node around 66-67 gr., it will be still slow. Thatswhy I started with 68.0 gr and worked up in 1/2 grain increments up to 70.0gr. My QL velocity calculation correlate pretty well with LabRadar measurements.
I still have some bullets so tomorrow will the story continue on the range.
Thanks for your post.

I've run the numbers in Berger's twist rate stability calculator, please, see yourself.
Click on preview for bigger pics.

Thx.
Are you measuring your COAL on each of these loads just out of curiosity. Like actually using calipers? I have a reason for asking. I have an idea.

I do understand, but look at it from my point of view. Am looking for a swift load for a Magnum cartridge with high BC heavy-for-caliber bullet. If I would start somewehere around 64.0gr MRP-2, it will produce velocity approx. 2650 fps. To achieve at least 2800 fps I've to load at least 68 gr. It will make no sense if I would hit some node around 66-67 gr., it will be still slow. Thatswhy I started with 68.0 gr and worked up in 1/2 grain increments up to 70.0gr. My QL velocity calculation correlate pretty well with LabRadar measurements.
I still have some bullets so tomorrow will the story continue on the range.
Thanks for your post.

I've run the numbers in Berger's twist rate stability calculator, please, see yourself.
Click on preview for bigger pics.

Will you list your charges and velocities for the MRP2 loads so we can see what you have going on?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.